Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can you hold uncooked meat in a Yeti cooler?

Options
I do not have a premium cooler (Yeti, RTIC, other?) but have seen many posts regarding how well they hold cold temps. That said, how long could I keep uncooked chicken or burgers in one that is packed with ice?
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    needs to stay under 40.  if there is ice, it's under 40.

don't drain it.  icewater is still 32 degrees, not warmer than ice.  draining a cooler to let out melted water will cause the ice to melt more quickly.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    And if you are conservative, once above 40*F you have four hours to either get it chilled again or fire it up.  At least my interpretation of the "guidelines".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    To answer your question, a long ass time. I have a plastic cooler from Walmart and it keeps ice for days, even longer if i fill it all the way. How much meat and how long do you intend to keep it in the cooler?
    Austin, Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    needs to stay under 40.  if there is ice, it's under 40.

don't drain it.  icewater is still 32 degrees, not warmer than ice.  draining a cooler to let out melted water will cause the ice to melt more quickly.

This.  
    If by chance all ice melts, you drain out half  to 3/4 the water, and top off with new ice and everything starts over on the clock.  So in theory, access to ice every 2-3 days you could go on indefinitely.  This amount of time is assuming about a 40 QT cooler with 1/2 ice 1/2 food and like you said, a cheaper cooler. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.