Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon smothered in Ragu.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Everyone here knows how to grill or smoke salmon so I will skip the particulars. Here is some salmon that I whipped up on a whim after cooking some Cornish hens.  

Hope y'all enjoy and thanks for looking.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If you would douse that in Ragu and surround it in way over cooked angel hair, maybe Scottie.  Then again, the photo on the board looks purdy good ;). Just lacks a little jarred sauce.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have used the recipe posted by Egret. My Beautiful Wife loves it so much, I make it every Sunday for dinner for her. I do smoke it with sugar maple, and use cedar planks. Awesome meal. Angel hair pasta is interesting. I might try that as well. Thanks guys.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Beautiful salmon @YukonRon - we have "salmon Sunday" every week as well, works nicely with a Monday trash pick up day!  Consensus - cedar planks once and done or cleaned and reused?  I've never reused them but wondering since they never really char.  And thanks for leaving out the Ragu this time!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looking great!  Can't go wrong with some cedar planked salmon :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome!

However, knowing your appetite, when I look at your cooks I try to figure out which is the appetizer and which is the main course?  I'm at a loss on this one, I think you could follow either up with a couple full racks of ribs.  :wink:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    Options
    da87 said:
    Beautiful salmon @YukonRon - we have "salmon Sunday" every week as well, works nicely with a Monday trash pick up day!  Consensus - cedar planks once and done or cleaned and reused?  I've never reused them but wondering since they never really char.  And thanks for leaving out the Ragu this time!
    One and done. I throw them in the fire pit when done.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    da87 said:
    Consensus - cedar planks once and done or cleaned and reused?  I've never reused them but wondering since they never really char.  
    You certainly can reuse them if you like. On that note, if you look at my pics you can see that I did not use a stone or setter as an indirect piece for the cook (the cedar planks were the indirect piece). I ran this at 500 degrees. As such, these planks were burned up pretty good on the bottom middle section so I tossed them. 
    On that note, if I use a stone or setter in combination with the planks, I usually can get 4-5 cooks out of the planks. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    FWIW, this place has some great deals on planks. I buy their seconds for dirt cheap. 
    http://www.outdoorgourmet.com/wood-grilling-planks

• SGH
    Options
    FWIW, this place has some great deals on planks. I buy their seconds for dirt cheap. 

Thanks for sharing that brother Double. I had not seen that before.  

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

We need to go to lunch again!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    da87 said:
    Consensus - cedar planks once and done or cleaned and reused?  I've never reused them but wondering since they never really char.  
    You certainly can reuse them if you like. On that note, if you look at my pics you can see that I did not use a stone or setter as an indirect piece for the cook (the cedar planks were the indirect piece). I ran this at 500 degrees. As such, these planks were burned up pretty good on the bottom middle section so I tossed them. 
    On that note, if I use a stone or setter in combination with the planks, I usually can get 4-5 cooks out of the planks. 

@SGH
    I got all mine at costco. They are way thinner than what yours seem to be. How thick are those planks? At 350F direct, mine would get kind of nasty. I started doing them with a plate setter. They still looked pretty bad after a cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @DoubleEgger thank you for the tip. I will order these. 3/8" is a pretty nice plank thickness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @DoubleEgger thank you for the tip. I will order these. 3/8" is a pretty nice plank thickness.
    No worries. I don't feel nearly as bad for tossing them out after each use for a buck a piece. 
  • BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    That even smells good from here!  Good job.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • SGH
    Options
    @YukonRon
    They are 3/8 thick. Pretty decent planks actually. This will probably get my thread buffaloed, but my wife picks them up from a Kamado Joe dealer close to where she works. A 10 pack is $9.99. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    @YukonRon
    They are 3/8 thick. Pretty decent planks actually. This will probably get my thread buffaloed, but my wife picks them up from a Kamado Joe dealer close to where she works. A 10 pack is $9.99. 
    Thank you for the information. Mine are 3/16. They suck. Your picture was great, and thank you for sharing. I will look for the other sources, actually I have too, Costco is out of inventory for the sesson.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky