Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another boring steak picture

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Here's last night's thick rib eye from a sub-primal that I had aged for 62 days. Though steak pictures may be boring I wanted to run this up the flag pole in Eggdom for a final salute for a meal well loved!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    Looks great, how exactly did you age it?  A cookie rack in the fridge over a tray with paper towel?  If at all, did you add spices, salt, etc?   Any scum that needs to be cleaned off or meat trimmed?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • RRP
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    Looks great, how exactly did you age it?  A cookie rack in the fridge over a tray with paper towel?  If at all, did you add spices, salt, etc?   Any scum that needs to be cleaned off or meat trimmed?
    I'm a UMAi Dry Bag fan. There are threads galore here about aging commando & bags etc. Sorry, but too late for me tonight to start linking them for you.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mmmmm! Nice Ron!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Give the search function a shot-the speed and output have been improved over the past few months.  You will certainly find a collection of dry aging threads.  
    And @RRP and @Darby_Crenshaw are well-versed in dry aging-and come at it with different approaches-both of which work.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Give the search function a shot-the speed and output have been improved over the past few months.  You will certainly find a collection of dry aging threads.  
    And @RRP and @Darby_Crenshaw are well-versed in dry aging-and come at it with different approaches-both of which work.  FWIW-
    Yep. Both work.

Both approaches are essentially the same. In a bag or not in a bag. That's it

Neither of them involve towels, mold, trimming, or anything

it seriously causes me anguish that something so simple has become so complicated by the internet.

rinse the subprimal. Put it in an umai bag, OR do not put it in a bag. 

And then on a rack on the fridge. 

Ignore for a minimum of 45 days

slice into steaks and cook. ...make aure to take it out of the bag if you bagged it 

THERE IS NO MORE TO IT.
    ignore any other advice, tips or steps. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Hey Ron when you dry age what's your go to time wise?  I've read a lot about 45-90 days as being best, just looking for info on what changes beyond that. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Nice!!  Eventually I will have to try dry aging.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options
    After you once again get settled in out there in AZ then you and "pa" need to try aging some beef. OTOH every day in the sunshine/climate out there will age your hides without our advice!  =)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's last night's thick rib eye from a sub-primal that I had aged for 62 days. Though steak pictures may be boring I wanted to run this up the flag pole in Eggdom for a final salute for a meal well loved!

How did you cook this one? Sous Vide?
    It looks good.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks great Ron. Thumbs up here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:
    RRP said:

How did you cook this one? Sous Vide?
    It looks good.
    Yes - 2 hours sous vide at 130 and then 45/45/45/45 on hot cast iron for sake of the maillard reaction. With my pig tail flipper I can pinpoint 90 degree markings with ease. Thin butter slices added the shine!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Me too, I wanna try it really bad, just sorta nervous (no logic behind the feeling)...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Me too, I wanna try it really bad, just sorta nervous (no logic behind the feeling)...
    LOL - come on...wade in the deep end of the pool...you just might then see and understand why good steak houses get by charging an arm and a leg for their great aged steaks! BUT oooops you can do it at home and save much-o money! No need to be nervous - it's not rocket science! 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    that ribeye looks incredible Ron. great work!