Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean the daisy wheel.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 9 years of use my daisy wheel is so gunked up that I have to hit with a hammer to be able to open up the vents. Should I just go buy a slider top, or is there is a good way to clean it?

Comments

• Ironbaugh
    Ironbaugh Posts: 93
    Options
    Scott M.,
    I thought I was the only one w/ a hammer next to the utensils. I've got 2 eggs. Use one for high temps, the other for low n slo. High temp cooks keep the goop off.

• 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    Options
    Scott M.,
    Every once in a while after a cook, I bump the heat way up around 650 or so and put the daisy wheel and my grates inside and that seems to clean everything up real good. Just be careful not to fry your gasket.
    Just my .02
    1shot

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Scott M.,
    ive been afraid of cracking it with the hammer, i put it in the egg as it warms up and it frees itself once warm. ocassionaly i cook it clean with high heat, but only if it poses a dripping problem on my food. the gunk helps it form a better seal for things like low temp jerkey cooking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Scott M.,
    When mine gets that way an overnight bath in household ammonia will do the trick. The burn off method in the bowels of the hot egg will also burn the paint off. Just use a small plastic container like an ice cream tub and completely submerge it and then cover with Saran wrap. In the morning under running water and using rubber gloves and a stiff brush the gunk should wash off. OTOH if it is 9 year accumulation it may take another night's bath. Word of caution don't smell the fumes and dispose of the used ammonia is a prudent manner - but never out it in a spetic system.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Scott M.,
    Sad to say, once the daisy wheel is gunked up, the entire Egg ceases to function. (And you will succumb to spam and other assorted maladies...) As a public service, if you will advise me of your location I will make arrangements to have it hauled away. <grin>[p]Naw - the advice below is good. I'm just gooning.[p]Ken

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    BlueSmoke, You haven't been nippin in the clear sauce Have ya there Blue?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Scott M.,
    toss it in the egg after each cook.
    clean it too much, and the way you are used to controlling temps will be 'off'.[p]i find the gunk acts as a natural gasket... i can choke my fire out with my daisy now, but i couldn't when it was new

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,[p]Why do you say never put ammonia in a septic system? We just moved to a place with septic so we're still learning all the whys and hows.
  • wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Gwen,[p]Ammonia will kill bacteria, which is a key ingredient in keeping your septic system functioning. When I lived in a house with septic, I used Rid-X once a month and never had any problems.[p]Mike
  • RRP
    Options
    Gwen,
    been here for 25 years as the original owner and pumped once as a requirement for a mortage refinance-guess we have been kind to the system! Let's take this to email if you want more info - but now to bed

• Unknown
    Options
    THanks for all the tips. I think I'll first try just putting the daisy wheel inside the Egg for a bit.

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Scott M.,
    Here is what I have been doing. It tkaes a bit but does the job. I cank my fire up and place it right on the coals for a while then shut the egg down with it inside. The next time I cook I use it then I coat all over with Crisco Shortning (Does better if you take the screws out then coat the individual pieces). Then place it in the Egg and Bake it at 350 for about an hour then shut the egg down with it inside. (Its Cast Iron, Same way you would reseason a cast iron skillit)
    When I bought my small it was the first thing I did with the damper. Brand new I took it abart burnt the paint off then seasoned it. Now it is season and looks rustic :) [p]newsig.png

• Unknown
    Options
    wingfoot,
    I see. I was told not to use antibacterial soap for the same reason, so we ditched all that.[p]So would I just find a spot back in the woods to dump stuff like ammonia or whathave you that can't go down the drain? We don't have much of that stuff as we try to be as organic as possible.

• RRP
    Options
    Gwen,
    that old spot in the woods will still end up in the water table somewhere - how about a shallow pan in the sun and let it evaporate...but remember this idea is coming from a retired bean counter - not a chemist!

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    RRP,
    Just use a wire brush.