Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken tikka masala. My first foray into Indian.

Options
theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
Hesitant to post with so many great Indian cooks on board. @caliking  @Canugghead  Combined a couple of recipes for this one. Served with store bought naan.   Definitely a keeper. Everyone ate it up. Next time making the naan. Any tips overall?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'd try it.  Nice.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I used to cook chicken tikka all the time using the Cooks Illustrated recipe. Haven't done that in quite a few years tho.

After seeing that nice plate of yours I think I'm going to have to make some chicken tikka this week.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice Jason!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Looks great!  I'm all about trying new things. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Inspired by a bag of chips from subway that my youngest picked out. Love that my kids are adventurous. It was freakin Fantastico!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great, love Indian food, no idea how to cook it though
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Nicely done Sir..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Great job

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn!!   That's all. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Dude. Not
    cool.  Just when you think you know someone. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Dude. Not
    cool.  Just when you think you know someone. 
    :kiss:
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'd hit that!

If you like Indian food, and like cookbooks, check out this Madhur Jaffrey book.

Good recipes, and easy to follow. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great looking cook- this is always a great dish for an entry into Indian cuisine. Now if I could just get my wife to enjoy it as much as I do...

let me me know if you find a good naan- never tried to make it myself. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    @theyolksonyou assuming you're talking about the new Lays Around the World flavors, those chips are so addictive.  The tzatziki flavor are great as well.  In fact, they inspired me to make chicken gyros the next night.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Looks awesome!

I thought you were using the title as camouflage for a thread about Lump or something.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Look yummy from here. The real expert cali has spoken, thanks for the compliments but honestly I'm still learning, going to look into that book as well.
    canuckland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Kind of hard for me to see that far.....but from the looks of it.....money!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Brother Yolk, I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what that is. But it sure looks mighty fine nonetheless. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Sure looks good. One of my favorite Indian dishes. I prefer it over rice, but eaten with Naan works great too. I find that everyone makes their Chicken Tikka different.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @sgh seriously my friend I have three words for you: Indian lunch buffet. With your appetite you will be in heaven. 

Awesome cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Looks awesome @theyolksonyou ... I think you nailed it.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SaltySam those are the chips. Never had tikka before, tried those chips, hit the googlez and Bam! New dish for the family. 

@caliking thanks for the link. I've honestly never tried Indian before. Need to expand my horizons, this was a great meal as evidenced by the empty pan. 

Thanks for for the kind words everyone. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @SaltySam those are the chips. Never had tikka before, tried those chips, hit the googlez and Bam! New dish for the family. 

@caliking thanks for the link. I've honestly never tried Indian before. Need to expand my horizons, this was a great meal as evidenced by the empty pan. 

Thanks for for the kind words everyone. 
    As @blind99 suggested, hit up an Indian buffet (a good one), to get familiar with some of the dishes. Just know that you can easily make better tandoori chicken yourself - most buffets seem to have sad, overcooked tandoori chicken. Madhur Jaffrey has been writing recipes for a western audience for decades, and her recipes are a great way to become familiar with Indian cooking. 

@Canugghead - Madhur Jaffrey recipes should be available by searching the internet, if you want to take a look before buying the book. She has other books too.

And I consider you already quite "learned" :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    That does look nice.

As for the Naan, this is what I have used. Cook it up on the BGE!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14565/naan/
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ask around before you just show up at an Indian buffet and expect good food. It's like BBQ joints, there's a few good ones and a whole bunch of mediocre/bad ones.
    Never cared for the Tandoori chicken at the buffet. They never do it right. Chicken Tikka and Vegetable Kurma are my favorites, but there's lots of other good ones. And if I want Chicken Biriani, I'll just visit mom's house. The buffet version is always a bit too dry.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Captain_Paul
    Options
    I love Indian food. And also just had a bag of those chips the other day. Pretty interesting. I think i'll get another. If there are lots of Indian cooks here I wish they'd post more. Nice job. Thanks for posting. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @caliking yeah, never fill up on samosas and pakora at the beginning, rookie mistake :)

man I sure wish my family liked it more. I may have to drag them to some Indian 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @blind99 said:
    @caliking yeah, never fill up on samosas and pakora at the beginning, rookie mistake :) ...
    spot on, I head straight for the meat curry table  :)
    canuckland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am not surprised you can get chicken up your way (used in bartering I am sure).....you must have had to make a trip to the city for the rest of the ingredients though. Looks outstanding!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @northGAcock I did get some strange looks on my semiannual trip to the big city when I threw naan, garam masala, and yogurt up there with my 100 # of yeast and some copper line.