Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help on Boston Butt

Options
Last night a put two 8 lb Boston butts on my green egg for a low and slow cook. The butts went on the grill at 7 pm. At 7am, they were at 170 degrees, but it took until 2pm for them to hit 195. My cook temp was between 225 - 235. This seemed to take a lot longer then usual but I chalked it up to the size of meat. The major problem is they were soooo greasy. I have never experienced this before, I mean they were GREASY. Each piece I pulled off I actually wrapped it in paper towels to absorbe the grease.  So guys, what did I do wrong?????

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    First, welcome.

I don't know if your cook time was that far off of what I experience.  I also cook at a target of 235, and I always do two butts of about that size.  So that's 19 hours - on the longer side, but not by much.

As far as greasy - sometimes you will get butts that are fattier than others.  

Again welcome - we love pics by the way.

Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

Next time try completely removing the fat cap. I always do this. There is plenty enough fat throughout the butt to keep it moist.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rootjuice said:
    So guys, what did I do wrong?????
    You did not do anything wrong. However if they were to "greasy" for you, simply cook them to 203-205 degrees next time. 
    As a point of reference, 195 is a good temp for small, lean butts. Most of the larger, fattier ones (over 6 pounds) need to go a little higher for most people's taste. Heck I'm kind of like a dog. I have and still will eat them at 160. 
    Again, just cook it to a higher internal temp next time if it's a large, fatty butt my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Finish-line key to success is when the bone pulls clean and that is generally into the low 200's.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rootjuice
    Options
    Thanks guys, you're the best! If I eat all of this stuff I can stand in the rain and watch the water bead up on me.