Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Enchiladas Ever!

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those look delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks Brent!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EGoldstein
    Options
    Copied the sauce to my recipe app..  I need a real good one and excited to try it.  We love cheese enchiladas.  Thanks 
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Looks great!

That sauce recipe looks very close to my own; if you use lard instead of vegetable oil, it will be mine!  (I've also used bacon drippings, delicious but not traditional).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha, I was about to tell you about a delicious red enchilada sauce recipe... until I realized you were using it! Try her enchilada slow cooker soup sometime. Uses one recipe of that sauce. Wonderful!

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipe/    

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Those look bad azz! Good job, bro.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• smbishop
    Options
    hahaha, I was about to tell you about a delicious red enchilada sauce recipe... until I realized you were using it! Try her enchilada slow cooker soup sometime. Uses one recipe of that sauce. Wonderful!

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipe/    

I probably got the recipe originally from you!  I will have to try the soup for sure.  :)

@Botch I will have to try it with lard, I bet it is great that way!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Ha! That's the same sauce recipe I use. She has some good stuff. Your enchiladas look amazing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look great.  Bookmarked.  

So far I have only tried the premade chicken enchiladas from Sam's.  I know that might be heresy but they are pretty darn good. I am sure yours are better though especially with the grilled chicken.  That rice looks really good as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Bookmarked.  I've been hunting for the right enchilada recipe lately.....good job brother!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    Well I thought I was full until I saw these.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Great looking enchiladas.  One of my favorites on the eggs.  Thanks!

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I probably got the recipe originally from you!  I will have to try the soup for sure.  :)
    Yeah, I've posted it before. :) Try adding about 3 oz of tomato paste next time you make the sauce. Great either way, but I think it's better with the addition.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gtcharlie
    Options
    I know whats for dinner tonight.  Do you add any smoke at all when you do them and if so what kind?
  • smbishop
    Options
    I fid not, but might try a small amount of fruit wood next time...
  • smbishop
    Options
    Yeah, I've posted it before. :) Try adding about 3 oz of tomato paste next time you make the sauce. Great either way, but I think it's better with the addition.
    I will try that!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    This is what is for dinner tonight!! Can not wait to give it a go!  Thank you for the post and idea!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Oh heck yeah... Gonna try this...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep I'd crush these 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Crazy good looking food right there!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smbishop
    Options
    They did receive the wife and daughters seal of approval!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    with that vote of confidence will be making them here...thanks.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • OneNole03
    Options
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Those look amazing!  Previously my go to was Paula Deen's recipe but these look even better!
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    I went ahead and made these last night.   Got home a little later than I thought I would so finished in the oven rather than the egg.   Delicious.  I agree with a lot of reviews on the site--  making the homemade enchilada sauce is key.  So much better than anything you can get in a can.  I went with 2 tablespoons of chili powder and added a couple tablespoons of tomato paste.   Next time I will definitely double the recipe so I have some stored in the fridge.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Made these yesterday, including the sauce, which was made even better by the fact I had just made Alton Browns homemade chili powder a couple days ago using 4 different dried chilis.  Shredded a couple chicken thighs I had cooked previously in the kamado and added a can of Kirkland chicken breast to bring the total chicken up to 1-1/2 lbs.  These were the best enchiladas I've ever made.  Can't wait to try the same sauce with pepper-stout beef! 

Thank you for sharing.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Made this last night too! used leftover chicken (S.V. bone-in skin-on breasts) shredded & tossed w/ onion/green chile.  Oven bake, but it was very nice meal.  Followed entire recipe close, except did 50% ancho chili powder in sauce, and added some summer corn (we gots tons of it in ohio) to the wraps before bake.  Thanks for sharing . . and Let me know if you have a good GREEN enchilada sauce!  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dayum!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks killer man

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf