Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome thermometer

Options
My dome thermometer is about 20 degrees off and kind of hard to read ( ok, small print with older eyes ). What do you all recommend as a replacement thermometer that has a bigger dial on it. I tried to stick the probe for my polder digital through the hole but the probe was to big. Thanks for the help. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    You can adjust out the off-set on your dome thermo.  Get a pan with water boiling, then insert your thermo.  Note the off-set from around 210*F or 100*C (easier to see).  Then use the nut on the back to adjust out the off-set and recheck.  You should be fine from a temperature perspective-no personal experience with another brand of thermo although there are several here who speak highly of Smokeware.  Hopefully they will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As for the old eyes comment, just rotate the thermo so your target temp is at 12 o'clock. (Remove the spring clip from the probe. You don't need it anyway.) Easy to tell how it's doing from a distance. Personally, I don't like the oversize dial face, but that's only my opinion.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Damn @Carolina Q, what were you cooking with a target temp of 900???

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Damn @Carolina Q, what were you cooking with a target temp of 900???
    @Mickey's chicken wings. :rofl:

Actually, pizza. Back in the days when I still thought an egg could double as a wood fired oven.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You could get an iGrill2 digital system.  The probes for the iGrill fit the hole in the dome of the BGE.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.