Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing ash

I'd like some opinions please. It's been some time since I cleaned out the ash with my Shop-Vac. 

I used the egg last night. The used charcoal can be removed on my Kick Ash Basket. Is it safe to remove the ash today?

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    I would think so..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Should be

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Thanks to the both of you. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    As long as the ash is cool, it's safe to vac.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    I would just feel if the ash is cool as others have said, or not if I'm wanting a new shop-vac.  Thought my stove ashes were cool once and shop-vac'd em.  Yep, got another shop-vac out of that deal.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I'd stir the pot, so to speak, give it 10- 15 minutes and see if there are any embers or smoke. Better safe than sorry. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I never use a vac. Just scrape the ashes out with the ash tool and into a metal bucket. Eventually, I dump that into an empty lump bag and toss it. I remove the internal parts of my egg once every 2-3 years and clean it out. There's never very much back there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut