Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken for the week and a steak

Options
Cooked a bunch of meat again. 
Chicken boobs and thighs with a few different rubs for some variety. The chicken is for lunches.  Then I threw on some squash to get another food group in the mix. Finally some homemade dry aged ribeye. While not too overcooked for me, the steak was done a bit more than I wanted by a few degrees.  Man the dry aged stuff cooks fast!  

Here is the proof that it did happen:

Obligatory money/fork shot. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Yum, I want! Nice cook. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks great.
    I've only cooked dry aged ribeyes one time and I overcooked them. The butcher warned me about the faster cooking, but I didn't realize how much faster they would be.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You are on fier tonight. All looks outstanding in my book.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Your last money shot of the steak.. Pure magic !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful.  And the dry aged stuff does cook fast!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words all.  I know what happened with my steak. In the "searing" picture above, I had just flipped my wife's and I just put mine on. Notice the steak is on a smaller grate right on the lump which was low in the egg. In a minute, even with long tongs, it was too hot and I had to reach for the glove. Here is another picture to show the heat. A flame jumped up and the camera (and my hand) got bit.  That extra time to get the glove put it over my target. 

That is fine. I have suffered more in the past for a reward of less value. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Steak and chicken... two of my very favorites. Your chicken boobs and thighs look delicious. I've never done any dry aging, but that is on the to-do list. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thank you for the kind words all.  I know what happened with my steak. In the "searing" picture above, I had just flipped my wife's and I just put mine on. Notice the steak is on a smaller grate right on the lump which was low in the egg. In a minute, even with long tongs, it was too hot and I had to reach for the glove. Here is another picture to show the heat. A flame jumped up and the camera (and my hand) got bit.  That extra time to get the glove put it over my target. 

That is fine. I have suffered more in the past for a reward of less value. 
    Well I certain  you were not forced to feed it to the dog.....Looks excellent from my vantage point. I believe there was much joy to be had right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    NO FORKS! 
    I put a fork picture in every one of my threads just for you!
    ....But you should not complain about them from me. They are usually off to the side, clean and more often than not, out of focus. But yea, they are there for you!  
    Large and MiniMax

• chadpsualum
    Options
    That steak looks killer. 

So when you dry age and cook, you leave the 'rind' (or 'moldy) section on during cooking and eating?  If you do eat it...what's the taste like?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    That steak is spot on... Marbeling looks awesome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    That steak looks killer. 

So when you dry age and cook, you leave the 'rind' (or 'moldy) section on during cooking and eating?  If you do eat it...what's the taste like?
    @chadpsualum I do not trim it at all. Keep in mind that when I dry age steaks, I am starting with a whole roast (about 13-20 lbs. Once aged, then I cut into steaks.  I do not trim off anything except some really, really dried parts that are just like jerky - if there even is any. I would say I trim about 2-4 oz off the entire roast. 
    As for mold:  I never had any. Not sure if I am lucky or that is normal, but I never had anything on it that I could see.
    Large and MiniMax