Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to vodka and a tri tip

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Back to healthy drinking so I bought a handle of titos. Threw probably the best looking tri tipi have ever seen in a hot tub for an hour or so and hit it with a new rub I tried hardcore carnivore. Really good stuff. Was lazy so I did the whole cook direct not raised on the mini around 400 with hickory for smoke. Made a meat wrap for 2nd dinner since I saved all those calories with the titos. 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Lit -being a healthy C2H5OH consumer myself perhaps you can share the prior "unhealthy" beverage(s) that vaulted the clear water to the healthy category?  ;) 
    Edit:  almost forgot-great cook and result.  Most eggcellent!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Options
    @lousubcap been drinking a lot of bourbon and heavier beers for awhile. Forgot how good titos is. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice TriTip.......It is hard for me to believe I had never had one up until about a year or so ago. On the Tito's.....I have been enjoying it with fresh squeezed Ruby Red Grapfruit juice this summer. Great vodka.....and healthy mixer. Sounds good anyhow. You have found much joy with the Titos and TriTip. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Now this is is a great cook!  @lousubcap, your chemistry is on point.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Great marbling!! Vodka + fresh grapefruit juice = a greyhound .. my favorite drink of all time ... add salt to the rim and now you have a salty dog .. but who needs the salt?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Killer tri tip.  Well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Invite next time, please?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice tri tip. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Hub said:
    Great marbling!! Vodka + fresh grapefruit juice = a greyhound .. my favorite drink of all time ... add salt to the rim and now you have a salty dog .. but who needs the salt?
    Agree!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Damn man that looks incredible.  It is the best looking cut of raw tri-tip I have seen.  The crust is phenomenal.  I looked up the rub and then after 20-30 minutes of google images of Jess Pryles I found the site.  It has activated charcoal in it.  How was the flavor? 

Oh- and where did you score that tri?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Damn, that's a great looking tri-tip.  Never seen that kind of marbling on a tri tip before.  I love me some Titos.  I like to mix mine with this  I will load up with them when Krogers has them on sale.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Awesome meal! I had some Tito's and grapefruit juice myself a few days ago. May have some more later today.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lit
    Options
    Damn man that looks incredible.  It is the best looking cut of raw tri-tip I have seen.  The crust is phenomenal.  I looked up the rub and then after 20-30 minutes of google images of Jess Pryles I found the site.  It has activated charcoal in it.  How was the flavor? 

Oh- and where did you score that tri?
    These were from earth fare. I go to earth fare and sprouts once a week and see what sales they have. They always have something 50% off or more and both have quality meet. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great cut @Lit!!!  Great execution too. Bravo!!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I do Bombay sapphire gin and soda.... Maybe some stuffed olives.
    may buy a bottle of Titos for my lake trip.
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Meat looks great. Was the tri tender or tough? 

Hot tub?  I know this has been mentioned before...but I happen to have one and want to know there is any benefit to throwing some vac sealed meat in their for a bit.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Hot tub?  I know this has been mentioned before...but I happen to have one and want to know there is any benefit to throwing some vac sealed meat in their for a bit.
    It was tender. I always hot tub steaks and tri tip. Try to keep the water bath around 110 and usually around an hour in the bath. This gives enough time to sear and still get a couple minutes indirect to get some egg flavor but not long enough to dry it out.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Very nice! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

It was tender. I always hot tub steaks and tri tip. Try to keep the water bath around 110 and usually around an hour in the bath. This gives enough time to sear and still get a couple minutes indirect to get some egg flavor but not long enough to dry it out.
    Is this similar to "sous vide" cooking? Awesome looking cut and finished product.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^yes. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's an amazingly marbled tri tip.  Great job

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Lit
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

Is this similar to "sous vide" cooking? Awesome looking cut and finished product.
    Kinda. I'm not a fan of sous vide tri tip at the normal 132 temp. Steaks are good at 132 then seared but I like them better in the hot tub. The sous vide on steak may be slightly more tender but the hot tub gives you the extra time on the egg to get some smoke flavor. It's tough to seperate the 2 I use my sous vide at 108 to do hot tubs frequently but you don't want to hold that temp more than a couple hours. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Lit said:
    feef706 said:
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

Kinda. I'm not a fan of sous vide tri tip at the normal 132 temp. Steaks are good at 132 then seared but I like them better in the hot tub. The sous vide on steak may be slightly more tender but the hot tub gives you the extra time on the egg to get some smoke flavor. It's tough to seperate the 2 I use my sous vide at 108 to do hot tubs frequently but you don't want to hold that temp more than a couple hours. 
    What are you doing to keep the water at temp? I was assuming you cold dial down the sous vide, I get that you wouldn't wanna eat the streak just boiling it alone 
  • Lit
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Lit said:
    feef706 said:
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

What are you doing to keep the water at temp? I was assuming you cold dial down the sous vide, I get that you wouldn't wanna eat the streak just boiling it alone 
    My sous vide will hold 108 no issues. When I am lazy I just fill it with hot sink water in a pan and change the water several times in an hour. Not a big deal if the water gets colder you are basically just trying to get the internal and external temp of the meat to rise at the same rate. Usually after an hour my tri tip will be around 90 degrees internal temp and cooking time is around a minute and a half each side and maybe 5-8 minutes indirect to hit 125-130 range. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

Hmmmm....I wonder if I could use an actual hot tub.  104 degrees.

What is the benefit of bringing it up to that 110 temp prior to grilling?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Lit said:
    KiterTodd said:

Hmmmm....I wonder if I could use an actual hot tub.  104 degrees.

What is the benefit of bringing it up to that 110 temp prior to grilling?
    As long as the bag stays sealed I'm sure a regular hot tub would work. Don't know if I would risk it though. Bringing the internal temp up gives it less time on the grill to dry out. It also looks different as an end product. The tri tips in my original post were over cooked they were reading low 130sso they rose to atleast 135 and they still look almost rare. If you cooked a tri tip out of the fridge to 135 internal it would not be nearly as red still.