Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Spatchcock Chicken on a Minimax

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
edited August 2016 in Poultry
Did a spatchcock chicken on our MM yesterday, added some lovely jerk seasoning to the bird. Setup was direct, not raised ... but we do have an original fire ring, which I believe is higher than the fire rings of newer MM. Also the layer of coals was quite thin, so they did not get too close to the bird.

Cooked at 375F/190C until the breast was at 165F/74C, the legs were at 180F at this point. Flipped and seared for two minutes to crisp the skin. Total cooking time ~50 mins (not including getting the MM to temperature).

Served with green veg and a 2013 Mas des Armours Coteaux du Languedoc, which was an excellent match for the jerk seasoning.

Now for the obligatory pictures, along with credit to SWMBO for taking them ... even if she was trying to find a Pokemon at the time and encourage it into the MM. Sigh.

The bird was skewered to make it easier to handle:

then probes added to monitor the temperature

Once it was ready, flipped for 2 minutes to crisp up the skin

Done and ready to be carved

Remove the skewers. Quick check to make sure it is cooked through ... yep, it was

Served with some green beans and broccoli.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Nicely done.. I always do mine indirect, I am going to do what you did next time. Question : Do you keep the lid open for the whole 50 min with the bottom vent set as in the pic.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Stormbringer
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nicely done.. I always do mine indirect, I am going to do what you did next time. Question : Do you keep the lid open for the whole 50 min with the bottom vent set as in the pic.
    No, lid down all the time, it was only open to take pictures. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking bird.  I really like the presentation of the half chicken on the plate.  Did you remove the breastbone in order to cut it in half or can you just cut through it?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Good looking bird

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Skewers!  Great idea.  I am always fighting the legs apart when I put it on.  Not any more!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Great looking bird.  I really like the presentation of the half chicken on the plate.  Did you remove the breastbone in order to cut it in half or can you just cut through it?
    @SmokeyPitt - just cut straight through the bone, I use Global knives but I suspect any decent knife or cleaver would do the trick.