Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time posting. My longest smoke on BGE

Options
jolesch
jolesch Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in Beef
I've had my Egg for 3 years, but am just now posting on this forum. I've read a lot of posts and wanted to give a generic thanks to those that I've read on best ways to prep and smoke brisket on the BGE.

This weekend, I smoked my biggest brisket yet (16 lbs.) and my longest smoke time ever (18 hrs.).

I smoked the brisket at 215 after prepping it with my own rub and adding honey on top before placing it on the smoker. Had about 15-20 friends over to enjoy it, and it was a hit. No left overs, and best part no one asked for BBQ sauce!

Dallas, TX
XLBGE

Travel infused, tech oriented explorer. Ex-expat. Located in Texas. Baylor grad. Keep experiencing. 4 continents. 32 countries.

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks awesome, welcome aboard!  You've got some killer bark on that brisket from cooking it at 215!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Awesome cook! Please feel free to post and or participate on this great forum more often ... Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cfuller3
    cfuller3 Posts: 33
    Options
    That's beautifully done.  Nice job.  I am still in beginner stages of the Egg'sperience..... no low and slow for me just yet.

Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice!  Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    cfuller3 said:
    That's beautifully done.  Nice job.  I am still in beginner stages of the Egg'sperience..... no low and slow for me just yet.

Welcome ~ if you don't know it yet, you will very soon ... there are many other sites you can join and participate in,  the BGE forum is the best .. the posts flow very nicely here and the layout is very easy to follow .. but most importantly, the feeling here is like family. True.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jolesch
    jolesch Posts: 2
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Awesome cook! Please feel free to post and or participate on this great forum more often ... Tim
    Thanks Tim! I'll be posting a lot more for sure. 
    Dallas, TX
    XLBGE

Travel infused, tech oriented explorer. Ex-expat. Located in Texas. Baylor grad. Keep experiencing. 4 continents. 32 countries.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I couldn't open the pic, but the description sounds awfully good !!!

Welcome to the madhouse !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Great cook right there.  Brisket cook, about the best cook going on a BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  I need to work harder on getting my smoking temp for briskets down to the 215 - 225 range.  I have been doing mine around 250, knowing it was a little high but nervous about letting it drop too low.  Recently got a ThermaQ which has given me more confidence about overnight cooks without losing much sleep.

Always a good feeling when no one asks for sauce.  You know that's a hit!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Looks like a home run.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.