Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - 25k jump no chute

Options
This is what some people were talking about yesterday. I went sky diving when I was 19 and I can't imagine ever even thinking about trying this insanity. Dude has brass cajones for sure. He needs a special edition copper colored egg as a symbol of said cajones.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36935087
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that is crazy. Here is another vid of the jump
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8j0YFzmqWc

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I just saw this, these guys are insane. Like the guy that walked across the Grand Canyon on a high wire a few years ago without any kind of safety device. Exciting time to see these folks pushing the envelope.  
    Las Vegas, NV

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I've jumped a few times.  Terrifying.  This guy has some big ones for sure.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Very cool stunt!!  Next up, blindfolded. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    But he had a net :) 

just kidding. Very cool stunt. 
    New Orleans LA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I wouldn't jump off a 6 foot ladder with a net. The guy has bigger balls than me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Ha I jumped at 13k for my 19th bday and all my friends backed out. Had to go alone. Glad I did it then because I would never do it again.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Couple of questions:

How do you practice for this?  Can't have a simulated net 5000 feet up in the sky to dive through and then deploy the chute.  Got to practice watching the earth approach from less than 400 or so feet away. 

Wonder if he wore Depends?

How much do you think he was paid?  How much would you demand to do that stunt?

Even though the evidence hints that he's an idiot, he did the planning and prep to ensure the stunt had an extremely high probability of success.  So, my hat is off to him ... I agree with John, not even off a 6 foot ladder!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    They used dummies to practice the physics of the stunt. Apparently one dummy went straight through the net smashing into the ground and the guys response was "it's ok that's why we do the test runs"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @ChillyWillis ... read that earlier, and that's good for ensuring the mechanical aspects of the stunt.  But personally, I find it hard to think rationally after my butt tightens up beyond a certain point.  And, with the ground rushing up at 120 miles per hour, my posterior would be well beyond a simple pucker.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Jeepster47 somehow I'm guessing that "thinking rationally" didn't play much of a roll in the planing of this ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    that guy is nuts =) i jumped back 30 something years ago, round chute, tiny prop plane with a plank strapped onto the wheel mount, was able to get out to the end of the wing and almost onto it before letting go =) amazing how much they let me drink before jumping, i was the last jump of the day, there were a few broken ankles that day, good thing we all signed that piece of paper relieving responsibility =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Amazing.....cool......stupid.....idiotic....rad.
    All of the above.
    Stuff like this is similar to mountaineering...it's either in your blood or it's not.  No in between.  I respect the hell out of this guy for doing what he did as it took huge cajones but know it will never be in the cards for this kid.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yup, that's nuts.  I hear that he trained for two years, so I trust that whatever he did, he felt it was pretty much muscle memory and a calculated risk to hit the zone.   Did he do any training jumps with a chute where he went into the net?  (having the chute just in case he decided to bail out)

However...man there are factors there you just can't plan for and with no chute, and landing backwards and blind...wow.

LBGE/Maryland
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That's definitely crazy. I couldn't believe anyone would take a risk like that, especially with him having a family with a young child.
    I guess that I'm just getting old and risk scares me.