Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatcocked chicken with crispy skin

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm going to do a spatchcocked bird tonight and am shooting for crispy skin and no pink inside. Will raised direct 400° get me there or should I also incorporate turning the chicken breast side down the last 20-30 minutes of the cook?

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'd say more like 5-10. Leave the bird uncovered in the fridge all day too. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I've only done two birds so far, but if you have time leave them seasoned in the fridge over night. I did mine between 275-300 indirect until 170. It is crazy how good it turns out!
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400/425 Direct and Raised. I never turn the bird over. The higher you have it raised the better the dome will do its magic. 
    Leaving it uncovered in fridge over night helps but most of the time I decide on a cook and just run down to the store. 
    400 /425 is the secret for me. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175 (you might want 5 degrees more, I don't). 
    Also big chickens (IMO) are not as good and harder to cook. I like 3lb to 3.75lb bird/birds (just as easy to cook two at the same time). 
    One more thing; I have found a good sharp heavy knife works so much better than Kitchen scissors to spatchcock chickens & turkeys. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I can't wait to try a turkey
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Besides blotting the skin, and letting the bird sit in the fridge, you can put a light dusting of corn starch on if it still feels wet before cooking. The starch seems to blot up some of the moisture, and then gets crisp itself.

If the meat is reaching temp, but the skin is not crisp enough, flip it then. Should only take a few minutes. The heat coming off the glowing lump is more like 600F, instead of the 400 ambient air temp.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175 (you might want 5 degrees more, I don't). 
    Also big chickens (IMO) are not as good and harder to cook. I like 3lb to 3.75lb bird/birds (just as easy to cook two at the same time). 
    One more thing; I have found a good sharp heavy knife works so much better than Kitchen scissors to spatchcock chickens & turkeys. 
    This size and quality of the chicken is very important.  In HEB now, it is hard to find a regular bird under 5 lbs.  Most of them are huge, have a lot of fat, and very thick skin.  You almost have to burn the skin cooking it direct to make it crispy.  

Much easier to get 2 smaller birds with thinner skin and less fat, those crisp up nice and easy every time.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Powak
    Options
    Mickey said:
    So a couple small natural birds be better than a large Perdue? I did a big Purdue one of my egg cooks and was less than impressed.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Powak said:
    Mickey said:
    So a couple small natural birds be better than a large Perdue? I did a big Purdue one of my egg cooks and was less than impressed.
    I dont know a lot about "natural" birds, but I am told they have less fat.  If that is the case, then yes, I would go that route.  

I have usually had great results with a regular chicken, under 4 lbs.  I just can't find them at HEB or walmart anymore since the birds are so big now.  I need to look at smaller local shops and pay more per lb.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Powak
    Options
    Mickey said:
    400/425 Direct and Raised. I never turn the bird over. The higher you have it raised the better the dome will do its magic. 
    Leaving it uncovered in fridge over night helps but most of the time I decide on a cook and just run down to the store. 
    400 /425 is the secret for me. 
    Followed your advice and MAN did those birds come out AMAZING!!!! 
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Spatched one Thursday night. No pics it's gone. Kroger seems to only carry birds around five pounds. I had a farmer tell me he was doing a house or two full for an extra week to get the larger bird, thus more money. I also means the farmer can have less of the work involved in changing birds as well as less down time.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Powak
    Options
    I bought a 3.5 and a 3.7 lb bird and they were perfect. Finally no pink meat, bloody veins or rubbery skin. I do however have to let the egg run longer next time after filling with fresh lump. Maybe an hour? Chicken had a little bit of that lump smoke taste.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I just called our local quality butcher. They get 3-lb. free-range chickens in once a week for $3.49/lb. Yikes! I may try one just to see if it's really fabulous.
    There are no supermarket chickens in San Diego for under 5 lbs.!!!!!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The last spatched bird I did, I used the kettle. Put the coals on one side, bird on the other for indirect, then when it was mostly done, I moved the bird directly over the coals to finish. Flipped it a couple of times, but otherwise, did nothing special. Just took it out of the fridge, removed the wrapper, seasoned it and threw it on. About 4+ lbs as I recall.

Crispiest skin in a long time. Delicious bird! No pink, but I don't recall ever having that problem. The rotisserie works well on the weber too, but this is easier and quicker.

@Judy Mayberry, $3.79 a pound is NOT gonna happen! :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powak
    Options

Crispiest skin in a long time. Delicious bird! No pink, but I don't recall ever having that problem. The rotisserie works well on the weber too, but this is easier and quicker.
    There is something about those ole weber kettles and crispy skin. They cannot be beat. I've still got 3 of my old kettles. Think I'll hold onto em for chicken.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a new one as the old one is finally starting to rust. After 25 years. They have them in BGE Green you know. :rofl: I eat a LOT of chicken!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powak
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a new one as the old one is finally starting to rust. After 25 years. They have them in BGE Green you know. :rofl: I eat a LOT of chicken!
    Hahahah! That's what I need. Big Green Webah