Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to tell when brisket flats are tender

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
There have been an unusually high volume of questions from new folks here on how to tell when brisket flats, when cooked alone, not whole briskets, and without the fat cap or point, are tender and ready to be pulled off the smoker.

I know some folks here on the forum like cooking the flat only, less fat, more nutritious protein, and maybe even just more of a challenge even to the eggsperienced egghead.

Gently lay a horseshoe in the smoker with the flat. The directions I read said the horseshoe needed to be at the same level as the flat, and do not wrap in HDAF or pink butcher paper.  When the horseshoe is tender enough to eat.....the flat will be tender enough to eat !!!!

Buy whole briskets !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    ... When the horseshoe is tender enough to eat.....the flat will be tender enough to eat !!!!

Buy whole briskets !
    That was funny!  

But in my area, I've never even SEEN a whole packer for sale, just flats.  I know I could order one from SRF or elsewhere, might, some day, but it's usually just me and my wife, and these days she's trying to eat a super healthy anti-cancer diet (she had melanoma <shudder> and is trying to do everything she can to prevent a recurrence), so it's very little meat at all, but NO red meat.  So let's see, a whole packer for one old guy...  I know, I could freeze it.  But I don't think it'd ever be the same.  So the only briskets I've ever cooked have been flats.  And most of them turned out pretty well, I think.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Theophan said:

But in my area, I've never even SEEN a whole packer for sale, just flats.  I know I could order one from SRF or elsewhere, might, some day, but it's usually just me and my wife, and these days she's trying to eat a super healthy anti-cancer diet (she had melanoma <shudder> and is trying to do everything she can to prevent a recurrence), so it's very little meat at all, but NO red meat.  So let's see, a whole packer for one old guy...  I know, I could freeze it.  But I don't think it'd ever be the same.  So the only briskets I've ever cooked have been flats.  And most of them turned out pretty well, I think.
    @Theophan ,
    Where are you located?  Someone in your area might be able to tell you where to get a packer brisket.  I've frozen brisket leftovers and they reheat quite well.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    So if I probe the horseshoe and it doesn't "probe like buttah" then I should go another hour or so?  Makes sense.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Theophan,,definately no insult intended. When my friend told me that joke, I almost died laughing. 

The Egg can make anything come out great...even flats !!!

I like cooking the corned beef flats....I haven't eggsperimented with starting out from scratch, though !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    I am located in Connecticut and have never came across any full packers (rather depressing).  If anyone on here is from around the same area and has any spots please share!  I asked the butcher at my local Costco and he tried telling me there is no such thing as a full "packer" brisket, that they only sell flats.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i think thats a recipe for horsey brisket =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    I am located in Connecticut and have never came across any full packers (rather depressing).  If anyone on here is from around the same area and has any spots please share!  I asked the butcher at my local Costco and he tried telling me there is no such thing as a full "packer" brisket, that they only sell flats.
    @Bart1434 ,
    There are Restaurant Depot stores in Orange and Hartford. Don't know if either of these is near you,  Costco around here doesn't carry full packer briskets either but they do know that they exist. The meat manager tried to get the corporate decision makers to get in some packer briskets, but they turned him down.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bart1434
    Options
    @shiff the restaurant depot in Orange is really close, I was looking into getting my KCBS card - do you know if the membership card allows you to go to restaurant depot multiple times, or is it just a one time use?

Southwestern, CT

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @bart1434  You get a one day pass. But you can get a new one day pass everytime you go with the KCBS card. (so unlimited one day passes)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Bart1434
    Options
    @thatgrimguy - thanks sorry if that was a novice question, just ordered one and looking forward to trying it out.

Southwestern, CT

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    @thatgrimguy - thanks sorry if that was a novice question, just ordered one and looking forward to trying it out.
    It's all good. Most here have no idea how it works. It's a really great incentive to join an already great association. KCBS does a lot for charity and if you ever get interested in competition it's the best sanctioning body in the country.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    You had me on that one Donnie. I was wondering what the he]] you were going to do with that horseshoe, but then this was the same guy wanting to cook some raccoon, so who knows.  Still laughing!!!!!!

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Shiff
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    @shiff the restaurant depot in Orange is really close, I was looking into getting my KCBS card - do you know if the membership card allows you to go to restaurant depot multiple times, or is it just a one time use?
    @Bart1434 ,
    Sounds like you're all set for Restaurant Depot.  KCBS is a good way to get the day pass but if you are involved with any business (doesn't have to be a food business) just bring some proof to RD and they will give you a card.  Be sure to bring a jacket with you when you visit the store since the meat cooler is very cold (and large).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    My local kroger had a 6.6 pound flat for 45 dollars. I got a 14.8 pound packer at sams for a few bucks less. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Now thats funny.....
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie