Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FB200 pit probe location

Options
Just received my Fb200 today and have it all setup. I was curious on where and how to place the pit probe and have run into two schools of thought on this. Many videos on this also adding to the debate. Boils down to either the dome thermo stem or on the cooking grate. I have always used the grate and used the plate setter  legs to shield it from direct charcoal heat. Will this work for me? Also should I wrap the pit probe with foil up to the clip?
--
Jeff
Near Twin Cities, MN
Large BGE

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Don't wrap the probe. You can place it where you want. I do the dome though. A lot of people stick it on the meat thermometer. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Don't wrap the probe. You can place it where you want. I do the dome though. A lot of people stick it on the meat thermometer. 
    Does wrapping probe wire distort temp readings then?
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I clip mine onto the cooking grate. I always make sure that it's not located over one of the hot spots coming up from around the plate setter to ensure an accurate reading. IMO, clipping it to the thermometer stem will inaccurately measure your actual grate cooking temp due to the height difference. 
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I clip mine onto the cooking grate. I always make sure that it's not located over one of the hot spots coming up from around the plate setter to ensure an accurate reading. IMO, clipping it to the thermometer stem will inaccurately measure your actual grate cooking temp due to the height difference. 
    Yeah that was my thinking too. I know I can just do the quick math if clipped to the thermo stem but always elected for the grate. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    If you know the difference in grate temp to dome temp just factor that in. Mine typically is 25 degrees off. So 250 dome for me is 225 grate.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    If you know the difference in grate temp to dome temp just factor that in. Mine typically is 25 degrees off. So 250 dome for me is 225 grate.  
    I agree with that. However, why not just clip it to the grate to take the guess work out of it. Let the Flame Boss do it's thing. 
  • DrKrieger
    DrKrieger Posts: 18
    Options
    And time I've used mine, I just clip it to the grate away from the edge of the oval stone on my adjustable rig. 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

Don't clip it to the meat thermometer probe. The cooler meat will lower the temp of the probe giving a false reading.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

I clip mine to the grate.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I agree with that. However, why not just clip it to the grate to take the guess work out of it. Let the Flame Boss do it's thing. 
    Depends what size egg.... Some of my briskets barley fit on my large.... I would rather place it somewhere where I know with confidence the temperature reading is accurate without having to worry I may be over a hot spot, or it may be getting an inaccurate reading from being to close to cold meat. 

To each his own.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    As far as clipping to probe to the grate goes, make sure the probe isn't touching or too close to the meat. It will definitely throw off the reading. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS