Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wired thermometer for long cooks

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm looking to get a new thermometer for long cooks. I've owned a $30 Maverick HD32 from Home Depot for about a year and the probe has just **** the bed. This has been a good thermometer despite being kind of hard on batteries. I was wondering if there's another good brand I should check into for these. Thermoworks makes some nice ones but they don't seem to have a model that wirelessly transmits the temps to a receiver you can bring in the house. That's a key feature I like.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Thermoworks have been dropping hints that they will be releasing a new model of remote reading thermo later this year. Perhaps even using WiFi rather than Bluetooth.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    maybe just upgrade the maverick. i dont think i ever replaced the batteries in 10 years of use. probes lasted for me as well, it never saw water, dampness etc.   i should turn mine on this weekend, havent had a need to use it in a long time, i trust the egg with overnights now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I bought a Maverick ET-732 off Amazon about a year ago and am still on the original batteries that came with it. No problem with the probes but I am careful that the wires are running over the platesetter and not the coals plus I cover the wires in the egg with aluminum foil for protection. Works well with great range for the wireless connection. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I agree with tgs2401.  I have had my 732 for over 2-1/2 yrs. I have had to order one new probe, but I did forget to protect it from exposure extra high heat near the back of the egg. New probe was about $12.  Not bad for 2-1/2 years of frequent service.

I also wrap probe leads in HDAF where exposed inside the egg.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Nashville_Egger
    Options
    I've been using this ThermoPro TP08 for about a month and so far it works great.  Has a wireless transmitter that has a 300 foot range.

Only $49.99 at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ?psc=1
    Large BGE - Nashville, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've been using this ThermoPro TP08 for about a month and so far it works great.  Has a wireless transmitter that has a 300 foot range.

Only $49.99 at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ?psc=1
    I bought one of the single probe versions of that a couple months ago. I just needed a single probe to monitor grill temp - didn't care about having a meat probe. 

Mine's a different brand but is the exact same thing ( a lot of Chinese made gizmos are like that). I like the flashing colors to let me know where it is in the heating range.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    maybe just upgrade the maverick. i dont think i ever replaced the batteries in 10 years of use. probes lasted for me as well, it never saw water, dampness etc.   i should turn mine on this weekend, havent had a need to use it in a long time, i trust the egg with overnights now

This.  I have a maverick, but I don't use it anymore.

NOLA
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Igrill mini and igrill2... Bluetooth only. Works for me :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    I do recommend just going Maverick for yourself again.  I also don't "depend" on the grill probe but I am an admitted checker so it helps my OCD tendencies. I'm sure I've had mine more than a decade but I never use it with high temps.
    Best - Jack
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I've got the igrill2. Works great and the software with it is good as well. 
    I saw a kickstarter type company on my fb feed the other day that had wireless probes that recharged and were self contained. You stuck it in the meat and the part left out would give you pit temp at the same time to your phone or pc/tablet. Hopefully that will catch on and come out mainstream soon. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I use a Maverick 732 with no issues.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    One more for the Maverick...
    New Orleans LA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought a maverick shortly after I signed on here. Because "everyone" said I had to have one. That was in 2009. I think I used it half a dozen times and it's been years! Last I checked, it worked fine, but I just don't see the need. More trouble than it's worth.

What did you use when cooking in your oven all these years? If you didn't need one before you got an egg, why do you need one after?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Right after I got my eggs and joined this forum I purchased the Maverick ET-733 from Amazon.  I think it cost me $70.  I have used it on every Low and Slow overnight cook I have done. 

The wireless piece goes wherever I go in the house and more than once it has awakened me in the middle of the night to tend something.  Once it woke me when the meat probe hit the magic 202 well before I expected it.  Good thing I had it on otherwise I would have awakened to a really tough, dry and overcooked butt.  I figured for a 12 hour cook and it finished in about 8.5 hours.

Just like everyone here always says, every butt cooks different and this time the Maverick saved my meal big time.  I have had it a year now and only changed the batteries once.  And that was because I had 4 butts on and wasn't going to take any chances.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    I bought these because I was down to my last half of my last two Mavericks. The mavericks were good when they worked , and I made one out of two , and bought probes a couple of times since 2011. I still use the maverick for low and slow dome reading ( since that is all that is left of it ) but figured I would try a different route before I spent the cash on a third Maverick.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Powak
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    XLentEGG said:
    I bought these because I was down to my last half of my last two Mavericks. The mavericks were good when they worked , and I made one out of two , and bought probes a couple of times since 2011. I still use the maverick for low and slow dome reading ( since that is all that is left of it ) but figured I would try a different route before I spent the cash on a third Maverick.
    Do the igrills send updates to your phone if your out of range across town?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Powak said:
    XLentEGG said:
    XLentEGG said:
    Do the igrills send updates to your phone if your out of range across town?
    No
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Powak
    Options
    I just ordered the Maverick ET-733. Comes with a pair of Bear Claws to tear apart meat too. $69 can't beat it.