Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke-Springs-Pain

Options
I have recently purchased the XL and put it together myself, not good!  I have yet to be able to use the 2 springs that sit toward to rear on both sides.  When they are connected, smoke flows from the rear of the egg...when the springs are disengaged from the lid it works fine; though it's rather heavy.

I welcome any imput as to how to correct this ongoing nuisance!

Thx guys

Frank

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    good luck, if you don't get a solid answer you can always pay your dealer to fix it.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Schrammy
    Schrammy Posts: 34
    Options
    Thx Hans...its 75 buck to come out for a service call.  Sucks
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Maybe the lower band needs to be nudged down a bit at the hinge side ?

place the springs on. Loosen the lower band until you can nudge it just a smidge  lower at the hinge side. Tighten up the bolts again.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Alternatively , maybe the band on the dome needs to be nudged up a bit?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @RRP has the answer. Look for a recent thread on underbite or overbite. I know Ron has it saved. It is not hard to do.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Schrammy, did you get your answer?   Did you make the adjustment, change??

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lahlooha
    lahlooha Posts: 63
    Options
    Mine was assembled by the dealer and still had a leak in the back, had them come back and set it right. It still had a small leak towards the back, I will give it some time to see if it settles or something, then will call them back if I still don't like it.
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone