Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife's first BGE cook!

Options
Wife doing her first BGE cook, and our first on the MM ever. 
Doing a test run on meatloaf. Used her regular recipe but added Head Country hot and spicy BBQ sauce to mix. Two 2lb loafs. She poked holes in top tin and supported it up with little crumbled balls of foil for any fat to drain. Added one small chunk of cherry and one of apple. 
Did did end up relocating thermometer by putting clip outside after realizing it would hit the meatloaf itself. 

Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks good, my wife started cooking first time also BBQ a while back with the MiniMax.  

How did the meatloaf come out?  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    So dang envious
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Still cooking. One hour in. The MM holds temp perfectly. Dunno why I thought it would be a challenge. Going to peek at the two hour mark. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Dangerous ground right there, you might not get the grill back. I cloud my eggs in secrecy and voodoo lest I am told By SWMBO, that they are no longer mine.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great.  I have yet to do meatloaf on the egg. Actually, have not done meatloaf since I got married.  Wife does not like it.

But Sunday she insisted we have hamburgers.
    With no rolls.
     :o

Was that the first cook for that egg with you? Looks like inside burned lump before.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BilZol
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Was that the first cook for that egg with you? Looks like inside burned lump before.  
    We got it used Monday. Fellow had it about a year and didn't like it I guess. Kind of weird, says he had an L and he also gave me about 5lbs of Fogo. 
    I was quite fortunate. I did run it up to 600 yesterday after I figured out where 230 would be on damper to get everything cleaned up. 
    Wife did it all today though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks great.  I have yet to do meatloaf on the egg. Actually, have not done meatloaf since I got married.  Wife does not like it.

But Sunday she insisted we have hamburgers.
    With no rolls.
     :o

I'm not a meatloaf guy myself. Did a smoked one a month or two ago. It converted me. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Dangerous ground right there, you might not get the grill back. I cloud my eggs in secrecy and voodoo lest I am told By SWMBO, that they are no longer mine.
    I'm good in that department. She's not going to start a 15 hour cook at dark thirty and take responsibility for food being ready on time that far out, besides, I get home first and do most of the cooking anyway.  B)
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I wish my wife did that!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My wife does her low and slows in the crockpot...I've tried to teach her how to light the charcoal and she doesn't even want to do that.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BilZol
    Options

Time to let it rest. Wife's idea worked out great. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    My wife does her low and slows in the crockpot...I've tried to teach her how to light the charcoal and she doesn't even want to do that.
    We pretty much move outside in the summer and cook as much as we can outside as well. The summers are so short here. I will be using the Eggs all winter though, the Hank Hill Weber just doesn't cut it on the really cold days. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That meal looks killer and I would crush it. She done good.

BilZol said:
    Jstroke said:
    I'm good in that department. She's not going to start a 15 hour cook at dark thirty and take responsibility for food being ready on time that far out, besides, I get home first and do most of the cooking anyway.  B)
    I have to admit, neither is mine, but I don't give her too many chances. She is a fantastic cook, but after feeding kids for 14 years she has been letting me cook most nights in the last year or so and I do at least 50% of the shopping. As a result we egg a lot more and eat more salad. 

So far the best thing she has learned is how to cook with my thermapen. I posted the temps on the side of the fridge and has learned to trust it and not blind faith or it "looks" done. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Loaves look great! I also like the setup for draining the fat off. I may need to steal that whenever I get around to my first loaf. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • BilZol
    Options
    Loaves look great! I also like the setup for draining the fat off. I may need to steal that whenever I get around to my first loaf. 
    I have to admit that I kind of scoffed at the idea when she told me what she did but results don't lie. Easy clean up too. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great cook and detailed post !!! Bravo on the result and your plated pic looks fantastic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....