Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which accessories should I get first?

Options
I'm about to purchase my first egg-the minimax since I'm in the Army and want something easy to move around (hopefully I can upgrade to a large later)-and was wondering what accessories I should get along with it to start. I've seen different things mentioned like a woo or a plate setter. Are both necessary? If not which one is recommended? Any other minimax accessories you would recommend? I will most likely also get the small v-rack for ribs and hopefully this years Thanksgiving turkey. :)

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thermapen.  Then learn how to use your cooker.  Thank you sincerely for your service.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Woo and stone from ceramic grill store. Skip the plate setter
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Good advice from a novice!  Never trust his beer selections, they'll put you in the poor house.
  • enderw30
    enderw30 Posts: 58
    Options
    Good advice from a novice!  Never trust his beer selections, they'll put you in the poor house.
    Duly noted. :) I just looked up the thermapen and will definitely add that on my list to get.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    But you'll enjoy the ride. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    But you'll enjoy the ride. 
    Still waiting for you to buy me a beer B)
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree with @theyolksonyou on skip plate setter, if bge were smart they'd buyout the ceramic grill store and make the adjustable rig or woo standard in all eggs to compete with Kamado joes divide and conquer and primos cooking system - bge has the $ to do it and with all the chatter from this forum buying those products you'd think they'd do something even if just to have them rebrand a new cooking system like they had  RO rebrand lump or dizzy pig rebrand their rubs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If your just getting started, the only real accessories you'll need are a good set of welding gloves and a temp thermometer as they don't come with the initial egg purchase. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    If your just getting started, the only real accessories you'll need are a good set of welding gloves and a temp thermometer as they don't come with the initial egg purchase. 
    Thermapen brother, worth every penny.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great timing, I was about to ask this as well.

What does the woo ring and ceramic stone do better than the platesetter (we already have the PS, it came with the MM)? I ask because we don't get CGS gear sold retail in the UK (although I have been corresponding with Terri about international shipping). However with a trip to the other side of the pond planned, I have the option to bring some CGS kit home for the MM (and also the LBGE). Suitcase space is limited though, and weight needs to be considered.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Thermapen.  Then learn how to use your cooker.  Thank you sincerely for your service.
    I agree with this. However, I have to say I never thought of a Thermapen as a BGE accessory. It is really just a cooking tool for me. I had one long before I had my BGE. In fact I have 3 of them now.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    bgebrent said:
    I agree with this. However, I have to say I never thought of a Thermapen as a BGE accessory. It is really just a cooking tool for me. I had one long before I had my BGE. In fact I have 3 of them now.
    Yep.  Until I started seeing people post this I never would have considered recommending this - I've had an IR thermometer in every apartment and now house I've ever lived in.  

I sometimes wonder how much of the "BGE will produce better food than you've ever had in your life" actually comes from it being a charcoal Komodo and how much comes from getting a thermometer and learning how to cook food to the proper temp.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Currently on vacation and have been nominated to manage the grill. Its a beat up charcoal grill that looks like a big ole gasser. Its labeled as "Backyard Classic Professional". I was a bit skeptical because I didn't have my "gizmos" as my MIL would put it. But doing so much cooking on the egg and understanding the vents/coals is the biggest factor. Not the accessories, however, accessories do make life a lot easier. 
    Did chops for 11 of us and everyone was pleased with their chop. "Cooked to perfection" was said. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Another vote for the thermapen for instant read and the above mentioned CGS woo and stone.  
    BTW-Go Navy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    1 - Means to cook raised at the felt line.  I do this with fire bricks.  

2 - Means to cook on two tiers.  I do this with a Grill Dome extender.  

3 - A decent thermometer.  I have a Thermapen, but don't really need this.  I got by just as well with my previous $25 thermometer.  

4 - Nice pair of high heat gloves.  Click HERE for the ones I use.  I like the high cuff, especially if you plan to get a wok down the road.  

5 - A cheap pair of work gloves from Lowes.  This is to aid with picking up cold grates, messing with interori items in the Egg.  

6 - A weed torch to light.  Click HERE for the one I use.  Note, buy a manual striker.  The push button igniter will fail, quickly.  

All the above can be bought very inexpensively or taken to the extreme.  I don't go extreme.  

Just advise from a novice.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    enderw30 said:
    I'm about to purchase my first egg-the minimax since I'm in the Army and want something easy to move around (hopefully I can upgrade to a large later
    Man my buddy and I were stationed at FT Carson together. He PCSd to VA and just bought a Large after we went through the same debate. I waited and got my large after I ETSd and got to a more permanent spot but we found a a guy that had one and PCSd and the movers broke the ceramic. They claimed it and got to replace it and sealed the crack so now he has 2 Eggs. 

If you are single and pack out in one vehicle and a  Uhaul I would say minimax all the way. If you are packing up 10k lbs of bicycles and powder room furniture then I say roll the dice. It's insured. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    bgebrent said:
    Haha same here. I also bought one for each child's house so I would have it when I cook there.