Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WIFI Pit Monitoring Question

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
After reading Jeepster47 's post on things going wrong at the time when we want to strut our stuff with our egg.....I wanted to throw another question out to the forum.

The egg is so consistent and unfailing, is there a WIFI connected device/system out there to be used for monitoring only?

The SmoBot, FB, and Stoker are all controllers ( I'm not a proud owner of any of them yet...YET), but the main application I can see most useful is monitoring multiple temps while running errands around town...etc...just to induce that extra comfort zone of knowing all is well at home.

I understand I've talked with a couple of you individually about your advice, and I greatly appreciate it. I'm still just in the information gathering stage !!   Some times I have trouble making decisions....probably from all the bad choices I've made throughout my life !!!

Thanks,

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options

I bought this one this weekend with two probes....free phone app to monitor with.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2028967/Taylor+SmarTemp+Dual+Probe+Thermometer

LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Tappecue May be what you are looking for.  You can keep track of 4 things at one time, but it is around $200.  I have Meater Block from Kickstart that comes in October.  http://www.tappecue.com/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I put an old Iphone hooked up to wifi and facing my Maverick readout.  The Iphone streams live video via Manything (other apps will do the same).  So I can pull up the stream on my phone and see a live readout of my Maverick's screen.

Like you, I don't generally need to adjust the temps - I just want to be able to go run errands and be comfortable that all is ok. 

I will add - it isn't an elegant solution.  but it is inexpensive, and it works.
    New Orleans LA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The Tappecue has already been mentioned. It is the only WiFi thermometer that I know of.

Keep in mind tho that any of the pit controllers can also be used just to monitor temps. You don't have to actually use the fan/blower if you don't need it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    As I said, it is not an elegant solution....
    New Orleans LA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Elegant? No. Cool as hell? Yes
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Gunnar ...Have you tested the bluetooth distance yet?  Just wandering how far from the cook the signal will extend. I have a Maverick system...but it doesn't have WIFI capabilities. It works perfect for when I am at home.

Thanks !

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Will walk around with it this evening....Yesterdays cook I was upstairs with monitor outside maybe 25 feet straight line. 
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stoker can run without the fan and just do temps.
    You can have 4-5 temp probes going at once. Both fire and food.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh Donnie, I love it when folks research and research and research ... love the company!

Here's a low cost solution (~$30) utilizing your Maverick unit to monitor temps:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181841/maverick-732-w-12-mile-range/p1

The dLink camera solution would also turn a Bubba Guru unit into a monitor only wifi unit.

Also, as @HeavyG mentioned, you don't have to hook up the fan if you only want to monitor temps.  If you don't want to monitor pit temp, then you can use that port to monitor an additional IT.  That method expands my Flameboss to monitoring two protein temps.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dldawes1
    Options
    Dondgc...You have given me an idea. I can link my GoPro to my Iphone and monitor my Maverick through WIFI.

I'll get started setting that up this afternoon.  Thanks !!!

• HeavyG
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Dondgc...You have given me an idea. I can link my GoPro to my Iphone and monitor my Maverick through WIFI.

I'll get started setting that up this afternoon.  Thanks !!!
    I've used one of my Dropcams to view/monitor my older Thermoworks TW8060 thermometer a few times.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I have one of the Tappecues. It has four probes and a user friends application for your smartphone. Set up is easy and it will chart your entire cook. So far so good. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I have one of the Tappecues. It has four probes and a user friends application for your smartphone. Set up is easy and it will chart your entire cook. So far so good. 
    Tappecues are neat. Glad to see they have finally upgraded their case.

One thing I don't like about Tappecue is their optional  "Tappecue Sessionbook". Neat feature and I might pay $10/year for that cloud based service but they want $10/MONTH which seems a bit outrageous IMHO.