Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting to 500

Options
I'm a new Egger and have a question. Is there a quick way to get the egg up above 500 quickly? Do I keep the lid open for a while ? Do I close the lid and keep the black cover off ?
Thanks.....

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How are you lighting?   For me I use a small map torch and light 5 spots 12/3/6/9 and center.  Leave dome open for 10-15 mins then close.  No need for the daisy/black cap when cooking above 300 or so.  Leave dome open a lil longer if you are using the starter cubes.  

You can always put a hairdryer in the bottom vent to speed things up.  I've been know to use my leaf blower on occasions.  Fire will get hot fast this way!! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Welcome. Opening the dome will help ramp up the fire. You can take the top daisy wheel off and open the bottom vent to watch the temp come up to 500. Start closing the vent around 450 to get it stabilized at 500

To be honest I never use the top daisy wheel on cooks above 300 degrees. The temp can be controlled just by the lower vent 300 degrees and up. The only time I use the daisy wheel is low and slows. 300 degrees and under
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  The whole thing operates on air-flow; more air-flow means a larger fire so more heat.  You can accelerate the air intake (bottom vent) with a weed blower or fan or just light in many places, each of which is seeking air to keep the fire going/expanding.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Fill and fire up a full chimney, let it get hot to the top, dump it in and keep bottom open and top off. 5 to 10 later ur at least 500.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    How fast do you want to get there? Once there, it'll take some time to stabilize ... curious as to why the hurry? 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I light in 3 spots and leave the dome open until I get 3 softball sized spots glowing, close the dome with the daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open.  I can get to 500 fairly quickly, but I have to take care not to overshoot.

I try not to rush my Egg, though. I prefer to let it come up slowly - it's easier to stabilize by leading the temp with the vents. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to get there. I like the BBQ dragon. Has a nice clamp and can be used for the bottom vent or from the top. Add air, temps rise. Works with any lighting method, I use several different lighting methods depending on my mood. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Leaf blower at air inlet will get you up to 500 in about 30 seconds
  • Bucketsoc
    Bucketsoc Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Funny thing happened. I had the lid closed, top off and vent wide opened, went inside to post orig. message and when I went outside the Egg was full blown hot !!! Figured it out. Thanks again. My family and I are enjoying the egg immensely.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you are going to grill, light as much of the top of the lump as you can, CLOSE the bottom vent and leave the lid open.  The fire will quickly spread across the top of the lump pile, which is where you want it for grilling.

Opening the bottom and top vents and closing the lid will cause the fire to dive down into the lump pile.
    Options
    If you are going to grill, light as much of the top of the lump as you can, CLOSE the bottom vent and leave the lid open.  The fire will quickly spread across the top of the lump pile, which is where you want it for grilling.

Opening the bottom and top vents and closing the lid will cause the fire to dive down into the lump pile.
    As if you can trust him... ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I totally made all that up.