Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting nervous.

Options
I have 2 briskets that im putting on tonight. They were 13 lbs each before i trimmed them. Probably close to 8 or 9 lbs now. My guest should be here for 1230 to eat. I was planning on foiling at 160. Just not sure what time  im gone to hit 160ish. Not sure if i should cook at 225 so i know that it should be in the morning. Not middle of the night. I will be running a guru so holding temps should not be a problem. Oh and to make it even better i have three racks of baby backs i plan on 3-2-1 in the morning on a raised grill. You would swear that Gordon Ramsey was coming over to eat. 
New Orleans, Louisiana. 
XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 

Comments

• stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    What temp do yall think for over night. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    Options
    Keep your temps around 225-235 (stabilized after cold meat)--- get sleep u need to get the briskys to 195-200 ( or probe tender ).  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    It can take anywhere from 4-7 hours to hit 160 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stichrunner
    Options
    4 hr. On the money and i hit 160 it.  Never wanted this to happen at 3:45 am :(
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    How you doing now?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • stichrunner
    Options
    One of my Bluetooth  thermometer temp went out and the other was working. By the time i realized the temp had spiked to 208 on one and the other was 187. I pulled the 208 one and probe it a bit more. Could not tell what temp to go by some said 192,198,202 all over the place but it was not tender enough so back on the egg it went. 
    I have now pulled both of them and wrapped in foil and in cooler. The baby backs are chugging right along. They should be good. 
    My temp held good all night with the guru but my timing was off horribly maybe if i would have let it just go to 195ish with out foiling it would have been better. Idk. About to start drinking already
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @stichrunner- I am sure all will be tasty.  Didn't realize you are in NOLA.  Lots of us here - @nolaegghead, @buzd504, @nolabrew, and others I am sure.  Many Gulf Coast eggers as well -  @thatgrimguy, @sgh, @gulfcoastguy to name a few.  
    New Orleans LA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    .... Could not tell what temp to go by some said 192,198,202 all over the place ...
    Do not go by any of them.  Once a brisket gets above 190º, it is time to start checking for doneness - by feel. Each brisket will get done when it gets done.  There is variability of the temp that briskets get done.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stichrunner
    Options
    10-4 yall. Still in the cooler. About 155° it. Trying to buy time. Might put them back on the egg to keep them above 140 it. Yep dondgc born and raise in st. Bernard. "Dont judge lol" 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • stichrunner
    Options
    I might have ruined my burnt end . The fire went out on me so i used the weber cubes to light it and waited about ten minutes to put the burnt ends in. Well i smelled a funny smell and pulled the meat out and its got a little funny taste from the cubes. I threw it in the real oven and let it finish in there. effen unbelievable. Cook from hell
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • stichrunner
    Options
    Everything worked out ok. Put the burnt ends in the oven and cooked for 30 mins. Most of the funny taste went away. No one else could taste it but i knew so thats what i tasted. The flat was a little tough but i think that had to do with how long it was in the cooler then how it was cooked. The baby backs came out perfect but was not thrilled with the dp swamp venom or the dp Jamaican jerk. Both were ok.  All and all not a bad day. Can definitely do better next time. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The cooler didn't make it tough. Undercooked