Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: "Smoke" (Cigar) Give Away...

Options
Killit_and_Grillit
Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
edited July 2016 in Off Topic

I got no feedback on my GAW (giveaway) topic so I am going on faith that at least there are no rules against it.

It's early morning in the middle of the week and I'm sitting outside enjoying a Monte Cristo watching my dome temp at a solid 235* as I prep pork shoulders for my First Responders/Veterans group at my church tonight. My weeks are winding down being able to work from home and enjoy this type of lifestyle. I am beginning a new job search and figure I can use a little good luck/karma/good feelings.

So I wanted to pass some along. I am going to send out a handful of sticks from my humidor to the winner.

Here are the RULES TO ENTER:

1) Post your favorite BGE meal. All details on the cook. Pics are welcome. Winner will be announced and I will attempt to recreate the meal next weekend when my crew gets back in town.

2) There is no 2. POST YOUR DELICIOUS MEALS ALREADY!!!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Very nice jester @Killit_and_Grillit
    Snellville, GA

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm in. I didn't create this recipe and no idea who I lifted it from.

Cedar Plank Salmon

Use salt and pepper or dry rub of your choice. I like to add thinly sliced lemon on top while cooking. Serving size is about 3 ounces. Leave skin on while cooking as that's where the flavor and healthy omega d comes from. When serving, use the spatula to pick up the meat while leaving the skin on the plank.

Equipment: 2 cedar planks
    Instructions
    Set the EGG for direct cooking.
    Preheat the EGG to 400°F/204°C.

Place the cedar planks in a pan, cover with water, and let soak for 1 hour.

Place the cedar planks on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and preheat for 3 minutes. 

Open the lid and turn the planks over, brush them with the olive oil, and place 2 salmon fillets on each plank. Season the salmon. Close the lid of the EGG. 

Cook the salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium.

Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    We don't smoke, so we're not going to participate, but I think it's nice of you to do a giveaway.   :)
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    One of our favorites is simple chicken wings. I liberally apply poultry seasoning and celery salt on both sides and grill raised direct at 400 for about 30-40 mins turning every 5-10 mins. Sauce if desired. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm in, just have to figure out which recipes to enter, now.  Thanks @Killit_and_Grillit for the contest.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm going simple, which is my forte. Baked potato, grilled flat iron steak(family style), and grilled asparagus. 

Heat Egg to 400 and roast potato til soft. 

Move potato to the side and and bump temp to 500- 550. 

Grill flat iron with Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks rub to IT of 125 turning 3 times to create 1/4 hatch marks. Remove to rest and cool. 

Grill asperagus drizzled with quality EVOO, S&P. Grill until a light char is produced and vegetable turns a vibrant green color while retaining a slight snap. 

Slice Steak across the grain to enhance tenderness and plate. 

Serve with nice Cabernet. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm going simple, which is my forte. Baked potato, grilled flat iron steak(family style), and grilled asparagus. 

Heat Egg to 400 and roast potato til soft. 

Move potato to the side and and bump temp to 500- 550. 

Grill flat iron with Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks rub to IT of 125 turning 3 times to create 1/4 hatch marks. Remove to rest and cool. 

Grill asperagus drizzled with quality EVOO, S&P. Grill until a light char is produced and vegetable turns a vibrant green color while retaining a slight snap. 

Slice Steak across the grain to enhance tenderness and plate. 

Serve with nice Cabernet.  

Man that looks good. My wife is about to leave town this week. I may put this one on the 7 days of red meat agenda.  You can keep the asparagus though...I hate waking up to pee in the middle of the night and it smelling like a chemical spill. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Even when I know it's coming it still surprises me.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    No avoiding it. I like the vial weed.

Sub some Brussels sprouts or hell, seasonal sweet corn!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Brussels are a fan fave around here. A little olive oil and bacon and...yep, I see why the raccoon is the state critter of Tennessee. 

Why eat veggies when you can put some pork on it. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Little bump for the weekend crowd. 

South of Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Been outta town and haven't been able to use the egg. Hope to remedy that tomorrow or Monday for sure. One of my favorite things to do on the egg is meatloaf. Here are a couple of small ones I did on the small egg awhile back.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1192113/meatloaf-twins-on-the-small#latest

If you're interested in the recipe let me know and I'll pass it along.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hope to participate in this, just not sure when I'm going to egg next. Although this has been my staple this summer.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197361/fish-tacos-w-homemade-corn-salsa#latest

Recommend red red snapper or Mahi Mahi. Season with S&P, Cumin, Smoked Paprika. About 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.

Corn salsa consists of basically a pico de gallo with roasted corn. I throw the jalapeño in the food processor first and pulse a few times, then throw in some onion and cilantro, pulse a little more. Then toss in the tomato, cumin, salt and pepper and pulse lightly until tomatoes are in small pieces but not mush. Meanwhile the corn and half or halves of lime are roasting on the egg. When that's done, slice corn into the pico and squeeze the roasted lime into the mix as well. Recommend refrigerating for an hour or more to let the favors mix.

If I win or not, I would like to keep this going and send cigars to a winner for the next round. I like this idea!
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Hope to participate in this, just not sure when I'm going to egg next. Although this has been my staple this summer.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197361/fish-tacos-w-homemade-corn-salsa#latest

Recommend red red snapper or Mahi Mahi. Season with S&P, Cumin, Smoked Paprika. About 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.

Corn salsa consists of basically a pico de gallo with roasted corn. I throw the jalapeño in the food processor first and pulse a few times, then throw in some onion and cilantro, pulse a little more. Then toss in the tomato, cumin, salt and pepper and pulse lightly until tomatoes are in small pieces but not mush. Meanwhile the corn and half or halves of lime are roasting on the egg. When that's done, slice corn into the pico and squeeze the roasted lime into the mix as well. Recommend refrigerating for an hour or more to let the favors mix.

If I win or not, I would like to keep this going and send cigars to a winner for the next round. I like this idea!
    I love fresh seafood. Red fish on the half shell grilled with and done as tacos is the best. I'm cursed in my landlocked state as it is. In another life I was a bad pirate with a thirst for fishing. 

Great cook. 

I contemplated some grilled scallops this week. My wife is allergic but she is out of town so I'm thinking surf and surf one night with some snapper and scallops

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Doing dinner for the guys tonight so I put my humidor on the counter.

Then I realized I never closed this out. I'll give everyone until Friday to enter then I will pick a winner.

South of Nashville, TN

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit, if you are looking to feed some hungry people here is what I did a couple weeks ago for my In-laws 50th.  You can cut back if it is to much food.  The only thing I think I left out is I brined the chicken for 24 hours.  The brine was 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of brown sugar, 3/4 cup of Kosher salt and a 1/4 cup of CookShacks Fast Eddie's BBQ rub.  You can use what ever you like.  This a good all purpose rub that use on ribs, chicken and pork butt.  I hope you like it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197445/big-cook-for-in-laws-50-wedding-anniversary-pic-heavy#latest

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options

I love good cigars and enjoy them most when I'm egging and having a little brown water.

Here's my favorite recipe.  Using fish sauce in a hamburger has greatly improved my quality of life:  http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/best-umami-hamburger-recipe/

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    They all look great guys. I'll close this at 7pm and pick a winner. 

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This was a fun one to make.  A big @$$ burger

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    AND THE WINNER IS...

@Phatchris

with the pork chops on white beans, broccoli and tomatoes. 

Lots of great entries. @Hokie_Smoker you were a close second...but I gave my wife some voting rights and she reminded me she got sick on fish sauce while she was Preggo. Totally gonna try this on a guys night though, it peaked my curiosity. 

Thanks to all those that participated. I will PM the winner. 

@SmokeyPitt you were two drinks away from taking a strong lead. That IS a big @ss burger. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    AND THE WINNER IS...

@Phatchris

with the pork chops on white beans, broccoli and tomatoes. 

Lots of great entries. @Hokie_Smoker you were a close second...but I gave my wife some voting rights and she reminded me she got sick on fish sauce while she was Preggo. Totally gonna try this on a guys night though, it peaked my curiosity. 

Thanks to all those that participated. I will PM the winner. 

@SmokeyPitt you were two drinks away from taking a strong lead. That IS a big @ss burger. 

Fish sauce in hamburger scares the hell out of some people but it brings out flavor that I hadn't had before.  Try the recipe and your wife will give me a recount.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Fish sauce in hamburger scares the hell out of some people but it brings out flavor that I hadn't had before.  Try the recipe and your wife will give me a recount.

My wife is scorched earth when it comes to getting sick. She went through a phase of $300 dinners to find out she had a crazy seafood allergy. It scarred her I think. 

But I will sneak a bite in and see if I can't trick her into a 2002 Presidential campaign midnight hour showdown. Haha

South of Nashville, TN

• Phatchris
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks! Seing as I'm not a huge smoker these days with the kids always close by, why don't you send the cigars @Hokie_Smoker

I've had that fish sauce burger and it rocks!
  • Phatchris
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Broccoli rabe, white beans and tomatoes...

blanch  some broccoli rabe and chop

sautee garlic in olive oil

add drained canned white beans(cannelloni) , rabe and small can of diced tomatoes

season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes

simmer 20-30 minutes
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    @Hokie_Smoker
    Congrats on winning and nice to offer it to @Hokie_Smoker.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    @Hokie_Smoker
    Congrats on winning and nice to offer it to @Hokie_Smoker.
    Well there you have it. Passed forward. Generous offer. @Hokie_Smoker send me your address and I'll get it in the mail Monday. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit, you a great person, here is what I am fini

Kansas City, Mo.