Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear question

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
when cooking a steak low and slow to a temperature before searing, do you cook it to about 5-10 degrees below finish temp or to actual finish temp? I can't quite remember. Yesterday I cooked my ribeyes to 130ish and then seared but I seared them raised instead of fire ring level as usual.

Comments

• stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    I did 110 and seared to 130 and was real good. flipped ever 45 secs for four times. then let rest.
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You pull before final temp.  First the IT will coast up about 5 degrees ... actual coast is affected by thickness, roasting temp, cover or not covered, etc.  The final increase in IT will depend on how hot the sear is, how long you sear, flame or CI, etc..  Getting it just right is more of an art (with lots of practice) than a science.

I roast steaks (1.5" thick) at 230 degrees and pull at 110~115 degrees IT.  Then sear about 3" above the lump with the egg at 600 degrees ... 20 seconds per side flipping four times for cross-hatched sear marks.  Don't know what the final temp is, but the finished product is medium rare.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    If you sear at what temperature you want, ie you sear at 130, the temp will go up probably to 145 or higher depending on how long you sear each side. 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    You pull before final temp.  First the IT will coast up about 5 degrees ... actual coast is affected by thickness, roasting temp, cover or not covered, etc.  The final increase in IT will depend on how hot the sear is, how long you sear, flame or CI, etc..  Getting it just right is more of an art (with lots of practice) than a science.

I roast steaks (1.5" thick) at 230 degrees and pull at 110~115 degrees IT.  Then sear about 3" above the lump with the egg at 600 degrees ... 20 seconds per side flipping four times for cross-hatched sear marks.  Don't know what the final temp is, but the finished product is medium rare.

yeah I gotta go back to searing ring height. Get more crust in less time.