Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF brisket smoke

Options
So I have finally opened the package and ready to cook. 

My original thoughts of the extremely thin flat still stand. BUT. This thing looks amazing. I have never felt a fat cap like this. I actually rubbed the fat just to feel it multiple times it felt so nice. I'm sure that sounds very weird and disturbing, however, those of you that have had one, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. 

Trimmed and injected with broth. Rubbed with holy cow. Sitting in the fridge until tonight when it goes on. 

More pics to come. Going to be going cherry chunks and about a handful of pecan chips. 250 dome. When the bark looks nice I'll wrap in paper. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I do have a question for those of you that have cooked one.... They cook in the same time frame?  I have seen some people say they finish around 185, others say they find they finish higher.

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That are a little quicker. Same rule as always. When it's all jiggly , it's done. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    That are a little quicker. Same rule as always. When it's all jiggly , it's done. 
    Yeah, was just curious if I need to start checking in the 185 temp.  Normally I don't even look until at least 198.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I would look at around 185 (and then about every 30 minutes) but the lowest temp I have ever had one release is in the low 190's.  That said, I have had them go into the low 200's for the most part.  Friggin cow drives it.  And yes, the flat will likely have some part that doesn't want to "probe like buttah" but if the great majority is there, time to declare victory.  Great eats await-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Two hours into the long nap

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Brisket is overrated. 

Saw a SRF 16 pounder yesterday at Patton's for $274. Asked the check-out girl who is going to but that. She said "we're waiting to find out". 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Hit the stall a little earlier than my usual briskets. Wrapped here at 8 hours in. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Brisket is overrated. 

Saw a SRF 16 pounder yesterday at Patton's for $274. Asked the check-out girl who is going to but that. She said "we're waiting to find out". 
    I honestly thought the same thing until I had Franklin's brisket. Then I realized two things: they are amazing and I'd never had a properly cooked brisket before. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Also trying some smoked, cubed and sauced pork from a post yesterday. @Hotch Cubed and marinated overnight with olive oil, water, and honey hog. Took out, injected with melted butter, rubbed again. Will go on the egg when the brisket is close to being done. @Hotch

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Brisket is overrated. 

Keep working at them. They're amazing if done correctly.  It took me about 4 years to finally hit that wow factor with my first one, then a few more to consistently make them good. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looking good. Mine cooked real fast! So keep a close watch on them.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    So.

Brisket was outstanding. I can confidently say along with everyone that tried it, it was the best brisket we've ever tasted. That includes Franklin, la BBQ, and the top burnt ends in KC. 

I slightly over cooked it. Some spots were probing nicely and some weren't at all. When I pulled I had some 207 spots and some 195 spots. 

Is it worth the price? No. I can get good quality around here for 2.19 a pound vs 12 a pound. Is the flavor superior? Yes
    Will I buy one again? Yes, for special occasions. 
    Pics make it look dry, but it was so juicy. I went through 4 napkins while eating.  

Total time: 19 hours

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No sliced pics??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    No sliced pics??
    No plates pics. Forgot that and forgot to take a pic of the pork. 
    Not really forgot, but sat down to eat and it was too good to risk getting up to get my phone while my dogs were all up on my business. Never seen them that crazy after trying my BBQ. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Options
    The wife had two photos I thought I'd use. Get that 1 needed post for 1,400. The cubed pork was really good but was totally looked over by the brisket. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wowsa man! Just, wowsa!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Congrats on the cook and result.  Nailed it right there.  I'm glad that the cook turned out as it did given your initial mis-givings about the brisket.  
    Definitely a special occasion buy but then I need to create more special occasions ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Yes sir!!!! Thanks for sharing
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - thanks for the cook thread, was really happy to see that after some of your initial concerns, this turned out well for you.  

My favorite line:  "I can confidently say along with everyone that tried it, it was the best brisket we've ever tasted"  Don't get my wrong, SRF is happy to take some credit for that, but clearly the big props go to the guy running the cook.  Nice work.  
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks delectable!  Although, I'm just trying to find an excuse to buy SRF ribs.  Brisket is in a whole other league (and price range) :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Brisket is overrated. 

brisket is my fave if cooked correctly.....as for the price of $274 for a 16 pounder....that's got to be a typo or something....you can order them all day long on the SRF website shipped to your door between 16-18 pounds for $159-$169.  why $274?
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    congrats on the great cook Bhedges......brisket looks great!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great job!  They do cook fast!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga