Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

publix charcoal

Options
Was in publix, and saw they had a 8.8 bag of charcoal for 4.99 I bought 2 bags thinking I would give it a shot. Burns really good and has some large chunks was wondering if anyone else has seen this have checked the nakedwiz and he didn't have a review for it that I saw was wondering if others have used it and how they liked it. Will try and post some pictures of the size of the coals.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    pieces seem a little large for me.  i usually break stuff like that up.  or you can put it at the bottom like you did and dump medium/smaller stuff over it.  it will give you good airflow (see: Elder Ward's step 1 for pork butt) and break down eventually also

is it really heavy? might be not completely carbonized. 

fine with me though. i'd just bust it up at the cooking level
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I use it when it's on sale. Works fine for me.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I've used it several times with no issues.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I believe it is rebadged Royal Oak. It is reviewed on Naked Whiz and was given a good. It varies from bag to bag as to size just like everything else I've used.
    I used it for years when I shopped at Publix and was satisfied. Priced at less than a dollar a pound, it's reasonably priced. (Come on man you're using $1000.00 worth of cooking machine and meat that costs more a pound than an eight pound bag of lump and talking about price!)
    I did not over years of used find a totally bad bag and found little foreign matter.
    I moved and now use Kroger which is also Royal Oak and sometimes a little more expensive.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've used it before. If memory serves me the pieces were large and very hard/high density.
    It burned well.
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options

I use it all the time as Publix is less than .5 from my house, it's reasonably priced, very consistent  and is as good or better than RO.

• Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    I used it when I took my Minimax on vacation. All great big pieces. Maybe  I can't tell the difference like all of you guys can, but I thought it cooked great. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    I haven't used any in my egg yet, but did this week in my rust bucket charcoal grill.  I had read the review on the NW site, and the fact that Publix is so close and we shop for groceries every Sunday, no harm in giving it a try.

I liked it in the rust bucket, so I am sure I will like it in the egg.  Will be using the BGE lump first to have a base to compare it to.

The convenience factor of it is nice for me.
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA