Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cream Cheese

I am a lover of fish/crab dips and a buddy introduced me to smoking cream cheese on the egg...  I do 225-250 fer 1.5-2 hours and coat the cream cheese with your favorite rub or seasoning.  I made it my last camping trip and it don't stay on the table long!!!

I was able to put 3 on my mini max at one time and could possibly do 4....but pictured is just a 2 fer!

I didn't see any chatter on cream cheese smoking on here but TRY IT, you'll like it!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Wow... cool.  How much smoke can it take?  
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Thats certainly cheap enough to try. Would be good with my habanero jelly poured over the top and served on crackers. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Like , great post thanks
    Seattle, WA
  • doesn't it just turn into a liquefied mess at those temps?
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    That looks super tasty. I'm sure I could eat enough of it to need a glass of Metamucil the next day... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Weird.  I like it.
    I'm impressed with how well the cream cheese kept its form for being kept at 200°F+ for a couple of hours. Did not expect to see that.

Most regular cheeses smoked at that temp would have become a pile of goo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited July 2016
    quoted wrong post!
  • Jai-Bo
    doesn't it just turn into a liquefied mess at those temps?
    That shocked me when a buddy turned me onto it...I thought it would but it doesn't....
  • Jai-Bo
    FaceDance said:
    Wow... cool.  How much smoke can it take?  
    I put a block on as soon as I took my starter out last night.  I cooked some dawgs so I got it up to 300 indirect and only left it on fer about an hour (not at 300).  Momma could taste the difference in the smoke but I still ate over half the block myself!!!  It's addictive!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    im seeing one in my future with a drizzle of honey and some crumbled pig candy on it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jai-Bo
    im seeing one in my future with a drizzle of honey and some crumbled pig candy on it =)
    While we were camping, one of the ladies there got some spicy pepper infused honey and drizzled it on plain cream cheese and it was good...smoking it 1st would have made it awesome!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Jai-Bo said:
    While we were camping, one of the ladies there got some spicy pepper infused honey and drizzled it on plain cream cheese and it was good...smoking it 1st would have made it awesome!!!
    ok, so now i see myself infusing honey with hot peppers =) you have to stop doing this =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo said:
    ok, so now i see myself infusing honey with hot peppers =) you have to stop doing this =)
    Always out there to help...hahaha!
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    @Jai-Bo what about it oozing out all over the place... even at 225?  It stays together?
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Must try!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo said:
    Always out there to help...hahaha!
    FaceDance said:
    @Jai-Bo what about it oozing out all over the place... even at 225?  It stays together?
    That's why I made boats w/ aluminum foil but didn't need it.  Last night I just used the foil wrap the cream cheese came in and after coating it, I cut it in half. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That looks awesome. Does it kinda dry it out a little kinda firming it up some? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Are you using any additional wood chunks for flavor? or just straight lump?
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    ...and here I was thinking about spreading some of this on pig candy.

would probably be excellent in an omelet, or, damn, smoked cheesecake? 
  • Jai-Bo
    texaswig said:
    That looks awesome. Does it kinda dry it out a little kinda firming it up some? 
    I actually like it right off the egg and its really gooshy....my son likes it after refrigerating and it's firmed back up...don't really notice it being dry.
  • Jai-Bo
    Are you using any additional wood chunks for flavor? or just straight lump?
    I used some Jack Daniel chips (dry) yesterday and my ole lady recognized a difference between plain lump.  So try it different ways and figure out how you like it.  I personally like heavy smoked food and she doesn't....
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    My in laws taught me this a few years ago. It's so good. 

Ive never used rubs, we just completely cover with fresh cracked pepper. Coat until you can't see white. It's almost impossible to have too much pepper. The cheese will cover it up. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I got too admit this sounds like money in the bank. Not good for my diet, but Lordy Lordy I might this on a piece of salmon
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited July 2016
     =)  Does look good with some venison and 
    or maybe some jalapeños ... Or maybe some pepper jelly or any combination of the above

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What if you put a $99 5000 BTU air conditioner in a box to keep the temperature sub-ambient?  
    edited July 2016
    That is the craziest thing I've seen in a while and it looks awesome.

Okay...so, serving it hot off the grill makes sense (do you coat all sides in the rub?)

Can you put it back in the fridge and serve later as you mentioned?  I'd think somewhere along the line the soft cheese would go bad if you did that (had it hot for that long).  I guess you are at a hot enough temp and then right back in the box.  ?

Anyway, great idea.   How did you serve it?  (w/ crackers, meat, veggies?)

Okay, I just asked way too many questions.  Sorry.  :blush:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Just did one tonight at 250* while I was stabilizing for a steak. Cracked pepper and some curry spice topped with a little strawberry preserves because that's all I had. Thanks for the idea. It was really good. 

LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Jai-Bo
    KiterTodd said:
    That is the craziest thing I've seen in a while and it looks awesome.

Okay...so, serving it hot off the grill makes sense (do you coat all sides in the rub?)

Can you put it back in the fridge and serve later as you mentioned?  I'd think somewhere along the line the soft cheese would go bad if you did that (had it hot for that long).  I guess you are at a hot enough temp and then right back in the box.  ?

Anyway, great idea.   How did you serve it?  (w/ crackers, meat, veggies?)

Okay, I just asked way too many questions.  Sorry.  :blush:
    Sorry, been quite busy lately.....I serve it fresh off the grill.  I prefer it "mushy" but I do put the leftovers (if there is any) in the fridge and it hardens back up (my son likes it better that way).  The way you serve it is up to you...I usually just get a box of Wheat Thins and go to town!  Try it, I promise you'll like it!!!