Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Salsa?

Options
Wife and I were given some fresh tomatoes, and I figured it would be nice to make some homemade salsa.

Any easy recipes out there?  Any favorites?
LBGE
Thomasville, GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here's one I use (I prefer roma T's):
    Put some tomatoes (6-Roma) , garlic(1 bulb) , 1 onion. and 3 jalapenos (number and type, your call to control the heat) on direct at 400. Turn them frequently getting a blackened skin on everything.
    Remove each piece when done, the onion taking the longest, about 30 minutes. Let them cool for about 30 minutes then remove any loose skins.
    Put the tomatoes, the onion, the garlic and the peppers into the food processor with the juice of a lime, some cilantro, some salt, and a little cumin. 
    Pulse it a few times and enjoy.  I find it takes on a better smoke flavor if left to cool in the fridge for a couple of hours. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My wife makes this one, it's really good.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/restaurant-style-salsa/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I enjoy an uncooked variety. Dice up the tomatoes, salt,pepper garlic, jalapenos, red onion, and green onion. Ratio isn't all that critical, you will find what you like, A splash of good vinegar helps add some acidity. If possible leave it in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight and dive in. If your into cilantro or anything else often found in salsas add that too. Its extremely simple and customizable, but you can't beat it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    With fresh, homegrown tomatoes I would do a fresh pico (like what @poster just suggested) or make a bruschetta.  IMO, a roasted or cooked salsa takes away from really good homegrown tomatoes (caveat, unless you have a crap-ton of them)
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    What is the purpose of cooking the items first?
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Gives the salsa a subtle smoke flavor and gets the skin out of the game.  Make a batch one way and the other and see what you prefer. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Gives the salsa a subtle smoke flavor and gets the skin out of the game.  Make a batch one way and the other and see what you prefer. 
    Not a bad idea, I will do that!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    At the store they refer to the smoky kind as "fire-roasted" salsa.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +2 on the suggestion from @DMW. That makes a fantastic salsa, it's easy to make and disappears quickly. I prefer to omit the sugar, but that's a personal preference.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    @DMW @Dredger that recipe looks good, but there's not one fresh tomato in it. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Legume - You are correct. I never make it, my wife does, and I didn't bother reading the recipe. :smiley:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You're right @Legume. Making Pico is another story and we use fresh tomatoes for that, but the flavor and consistancy of this salsa is just right for us. Talk about easy, we just throw the ingredients in the Vitamix, set it to medium low speed, turn it on and it's ready in 5 seconds.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Google Chevy's Salsa Recipe, the Top Secret Recipe is great and you get to use the egg !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO