Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru issues

Options
I calibrated my dome thermometer and my pit probe on my Guru is way off. I think a 50 or so degree difference. I'm a little apprehensive about sticking something electrical in boiling water to test it. Suggestions on testing and/or calibrating it? Anyone else have this happen?
Thanks!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Soyknee
    Soyknee Posts: 33
    Options
    The probes are a thermocouple.  A thermocouple is basically two wires made from different materials that are joined at a junction(tip of the probe), that create a millivolt signal to the Guru.  You won't get electrocuted sticking the probes in water.  I deal with thermocouples with my work and if anything is off I am guessing it would be the Guru and not the probe.  I would  place the probe in your oven and run it up in 50 degree increments and see if you are close.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Boiling water test is safe and just about as accurate as you can get at home.
    Testing against a home oven for accuracy is a waste of time but will let you know if your unit is kicking on and off as you turn oven on and off.
    Most home ovens are not very accurate or consistent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Was your guru pit probe clipped to the dome thermo or was it at grid level? If it was at grid level, then the temp difference is expected. If it was clipped to the dome thermo, then one of those is not reading right.

Test the dome thermo and pit probe in boiling water to see which one is not reading right. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Remember that the grate temp will not be the same as the dome temp for quite a while.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I usually clip it to the grid but it's raised and indirect so I didn't think it would be a major difference

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Not real sure....don't think you can calibrate a probe on the Guru. Good luck with their customer service...it sucks...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There is a large gap between dome and grate when everything is still coming to temp. It gets closer and closer the longer the cook. I have seen mine a good 30 degrees difference and that's after stabilizing.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    It also makes a difference on your indirect setup.  If it is with the PS and a leg is not underneath the dome thermo you can get more direct radiant heat on it causing a difference.  I can't remember the thread name but @Jeepster47 I believe did a bunch of testing quite a while ago
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada