Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KICKSTARTER Bulat Knives

Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I'm interested but want to see what people here who are smarter than me think first.

*bump
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Still waiting on my Misen knives...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Last update I saw was that they would start shipping mid-late September.

I had to quit obsessing over when my Kickstarter projects ship. That way whenever they do show up it's like an extra Xmas gift. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Assuming the quality is comparable to J-knives with a history, and you like the shape, what they offer for kickstarter support is a little less costly than what is already out there. But not quite as hard, and with a less acute bevel than what is available.

VG-10 is a good core steel. I use a petty with that every day, and am delighted. Not easy to sharpen, but holds its edge a long time w. proper stropping.

My opinion, it is a better quality knife at a reasonable price.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    HeavyG said:
    Last update I saw was that they would start shipping mid-late September.

I had to quit obsessing over when my Kickstarter projects ship. That way whenever they do show up it's like an extra Xmas gift. :)

There was some issue with boxes so now it's october.. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    from a quick look.... isn't this another one of these faux damascus steel blades.

solid core with a pretty veneer.

true pattern welding in a knife should be through and through, otherwise you are not getting what they want you to think you are getting

VG10 is still carbon steel, and the price is decent, but i just think you should know when something is real versus just a veneer
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is pretty much what Zhen does already.  Although they're not direct sellers, their knives are in this price range and are VG-10 cores with softer stainless veneers, including the "damascus" like stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zhen+knives&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=46217378747&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7777859508622045016&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5z134jynum_e

There are a million knife makers out there with a massive range of prices, I never watched the video but I'm not sure how this one differentiates from others. I have also read that VG 10 is fairly hard to work with and many knife makers do not do a great job putting it into knives.  Maybe these guys have a lot of experience making knives, I don't know.  If you get one post your thoughts on how much you like it, I am always looking to add to the collection.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I don't think I will be backing it.  It's a little to much for me for one knife.  I am doing fine with the knives I have i just was wondering if anyone had seen this and there are people on here that know more about knives then me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    VG10 is legit.  I've got a couple scars to prove it.  Enjoy the Shuns.  Not the best out there, but good enough for me at $90 for the 10" Chefs.  My Japanese White #2 will rust if you look at it wrong.  This Bulat steel will fit well in the maintenance free kitchen, lifestyle, the average Joe or Joan longs for.

Although a couple of Misens are on the way, this Bulat $100 offer is still better than any JA Henckels or Wusthof.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Focker said:
     this Bulat $100 offer is still better than any JA Henckels or Wusthof.
    price is good, yes.  people need to know what they want and are getting before they buy though, i think.

i don't see it as a case of one knife (or manufacturer, brand) always better than another. 

the softer german knives are better for some people, especially beginners, because they sharpen more easily and don't stain (which some see as a negative).  it's why they make them in drop forged stainless. they were actually a reaction to the 'stainable' carbon steel knives that were the standard.  my grandfather's knives are high-carbon and harder to sharpen.  heck, not long ago we STILL had a tinkerer that rode around sharpening knives for people, like a dude in an ice cream truck.

but of course, that softness means an edge doesn't last as long. which is a negative for a lot of more experienced cooks (those who use them a lot)

for people who really know what they are doing, and what kind of performance they want, the high-carbon knives can be perfect.

i just hesitate to say something is 'better' than another, because it really depends on what the user's criteria, experience, etc are.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    Actually, there is a JA Henckels 8" Miyabi VG-10 core "damascus" available for about $100.

And VG-10 at this time is no longer "cutting edge."

• Focker
    edited July 2016
    Wish I had a quarter for every dull, stamped, "easier to sharpen", use, knife I've encountered in others homes.  

I judge a knife by it's total construction, performance.  Not the pretty cosmetic damascus wannabe patterns, or user experience.  A beginner is better off with a knife that stays sharp, longer, between maintenance.  

Guess I could've expounded a bit, and stated this Bulat is better than their(JA and Wustys) finest offerings, Ikon for ex, that are 50 dollars or so more.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Focker said:
    Wish I had a quarter for every dull, stamped, "easier to sharpen", knife I've encountered in others homes.  

I judge a knife by it's total construction, performance.  Not the pretty cosmetic damascus wannabe patterns, or user experience.  A beginner is better off with a knife that stays sharp, longer, between maintenance.  

Guess I could've expounded a bit, and stated this Bulat is better than their(JA and Wustys) finest offerings, Ikon for ex, that are 50 dollars or so more.

i agree.  but it's like trucks.

a heavy duty professional truck is 'better' than a cheaper one.

but it may not be better for the end user, depending what they need, what their experience is, etc.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    I am chuckling reading all the replies. I saw this and got excited.  Then I went into my typical, if I could by expensive chef knives I don't need Internet shopping route. Then I remembered my shuns work great and stay pretty sharp. And I set this aside. 
  • Focker
    gdenby said:
    Actually, there is a JA Henckels 8" Miyabi VG-10 core "damascus" available for about $100.

And VG-10 at this time is no longer "cutting edge."

Kudos to JA, for adapting.

Who said it was cutting edge?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gdenby
    The nominal reason for prettying up the blade is to reduce blade stickiness. Otherwise, a less expensive simple cladding is enough to keep more reactive steels from rusting all over, and/or more brittle steels from chipping, or cracking.

FWIW, even pure pattern weld is not real Damascus. Real Damscus was made from a steel from India, commonly called woot, or wootz. The blade makers in Damascus found a way to treat the raw steel so that it would not break when used in thin, light swords. Part of that was the standard  method of pattern welding, but evidently they found or stumbled onto materials that added trace elements, rather like modern crucible steel makers, which improved the base steel. Apparently the supply was exhausted, and true Damascus disappeared. Pattern welding in the West was a later attempt to recreate the lightness and keenness of the originals.

But there are quite a few modern stain resistant steels that require little care, will easily take a 15 degree bevel, and have RC higher than 60, and are substantially less expensive. Don't know at what the market niche the Kickstarter folks are aiming.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    great blade material, am fine with the easy clean veneer, really hate the finger guard style(makes it harder to hand sharpen).  its very similar to my ginsu with the vg1 core =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    I find the high carbon steel knives easy to sharpen, esp compared to the VG10, AUS8, etc alloys.
    i think if a person is inclined to let one type of knife get dull, he'd let any type of knife get dull. 

• HeavyG
    i think if a person is inclined to let one type of knife get dull, he'd let any type of knife get dull. 
    To me it doesn't really matter what steel is involved or how much it cost.

Bottom line is - is it sharp? Are you going to keep it sharp? If you're not going to keep it sharp are you willing to pay someone to sharpen it for you when needed?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I think I'll wait until I can get a good valyrian steel knife
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
     jls9595 said:

It doesn't look like Tommen Baratheon is gonna need his. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• HeavyG
     jls9595 said:

Yeah but I think Cersei is going to be getting a lot of use with that next season.

• nolaegghead
    I prefer unobtanium or adamantium, but very difficult to sharpen.
    The molecular hammer makes that a very easy task.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
     jls9595 said:

Spoiler alert! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    As it happens, if you load your strop w. Illudium Phosdex, unobtanium  can easily be brought back to mirror like smoothness.

Testing to see how antique you are.
  • nolaegghead
    gdenby said:
    As it happens, if you load your strop w. Illudium Phosdex, unobtanium  can easily be brought back to mirror like smoothness.

Testing to see how antique you are.
    Not that antique, I had to look it up!