Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooler time with ribs

Options
Planning on doing turbo ribs today. My question is how long can I leave the finished ribs in a cooler and still serve a warm moist rib for dinner tonight?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Up to 6 hours if you have the cooler pre-warmed with some hot towels and it is a reasonably good cooler (doesn't have to be a Yeti or equivalent - just not a crappy one like the old Igloo Playmate)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• atltire
    atltire Posts: 30
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Any time.  The key is that when the meat temp goes below 140, you have 4 hours to eat or refrigerate them.  Ideally, when you pull them out of the cooler they will be above that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @Foghorn -  I resemble that Igloo cooler remark.  I have had great long-duration FTC success with the good 'ol Igloo. Just prep and plan and no issues.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • atltire
    Options
    Ok. I understand
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @lousubcap, I'm a fan of Igloo coolers in general.  I just have had a couple of Playmates (the single handle on top that rocks to the side to open the lid - then clicks back in place to close) over the years.  They served the purpose of carrying ice and beverages - or even warm meat - to wherever I needed to take them, and they probably provided a little more insulation than carrying the same stuff in a plastic bag from the grocery store - but only a little.  For a short FTC they were fine.  Or a picnic.  But I couldn't even get a whole day out of them at the beach with a normal mixture of ice and soda. 

San Antonio, TX

• atltire
    Options
    I just want to keep the ribs moist and warm for about 3 hrs. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    atltire said:
    I just want to keep the ribs moist and warm for about 3 hrs. 

You should have no problem.  Let us know how they turn out.  lou and I just derailed your thread.  Sorry about that.

But more importantly, welcome aboard.

San Antonio, TX

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You will want to wrap them really tightly in foil first. That is to keep the moisture in. You may have some juice in the pouch at the end to brush back on the slab(s).

If you are not traveling w. them, consider keeping the Egg burning. Take them out of the cooler and under the towels. Be decadent, and swab them w. butter and put back onto the Egg for maybe 10 minutes, or have some steaming sauce to cover them.

• atltire
    Options
    Can I cut up and do a final sauce app. then rap in foil? Or must I leave the slabs whole?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I would leave them whole.  The meat starts to dry out when you slice.

San Antonio, TX