Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket finished 5hrs early - what are my options?

Options
I cooked an 18# brisket @ 275 and way overestimated the time needed (per the Pit Pal chart it never hit a stall overnight). Can I FTC for 5 hrs or put in fridge after a rest?

Thank you!
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I'm not a brisket expert, but I've FTC'd butts for about that long and they were piping hot.  A butt is more forgiving though.  Hang in there, someone will chime in.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I let mine rest for 20 minutes and then wrap in foil, wrap in towels, and put in cooler (FTC)  Have held temp for 8 hours with now issues.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    ;) told ya!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Sorry - no issues not now issues.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As above you are just fine.  What follows is a process I use to get at least 8 hours out of a FTC (no comment on why the extended requirement...friggin cow:)) .  Pre-warm your cooler (I use an el cheapo Igloo) with hot water.  Heat some garage quality towels in the dryer.  Double wrap the target meat in HDAF and the towels, into the cooler and place in the sun.  You are good to go.  
    Edit:  let rest before the FTC.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I would start eating it for breakfast and give your guests hot dogs. 

I had had this happen once, I put it in the fridge after it rested for about 2 hours and it was in the fridge for 2 hours then I brought it back in the oven. Didn't know if it was the right thing to do but nobody got sick. I'm sure a seasoned brisket veteran will come along shortly. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Wow, like I said. In the time I typed this here comes the cavalry. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I had this happen to me last Labor Day Weekend. Brisket was done at 8 am, guests coming at 3. I FTC'd as the guys explained above by wrapping in warm towels (dryer) and into my igloo cooler till about 2 or so. When I pulled it out it was still warm, nice and tender and the best I ever cooked.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    FTC till time to eat. You'll be golden. Enjoy! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA