Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boiling water in Yeti

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Before flying out to NH & MA on the 5th taking hot ribs, sausage, and steak to Daughters on the 4th. Will cook on the Eggs in Salado and pack hot in the Yeti for a little less than 3 hour trip and dinner. 
Thinking of adding 5 or 6 qts  boiling water to the Yeti and closing lid for a couple of hours before ready to pack it. 
Thoughts?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I would think around 150-175 would be fine. 200+ may be a bit much. Just set the pot/pan on a folded towel as not to soften the rotomold. I usually use the hottest tap water (145 in my house) in 3-4 1 gal milk jugs to prep for FTC.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    @Hotch so don't just pour it in? Will cut back to tap as you suggest. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    edited July 2016
    I would not. You just need to "Load the Heat to in it" . The plastic may expand fast and de-laminate from the insulation. Give it more time to absorb the heat if need be.  May have to change the water once or twice. At 150-160 you are just keep it at safe temp and not cooking it. And if you have the room keep a freshly heated jug or two along for the ride.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Mickey, for what it's worth, most polypropylene and related products start to yield at around 200F. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I have dealt with it for years. Take it for what it's worth my friend. 

I would not heat my Yeti nor any rotomolded cooler to 200+ degrees for any reason. That's just me though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Hotch said:
    I would not. You just need to "Load the Heat to in it" . The plastic may expand fast and de-laminate from the insulation. Give it more time to absorb the heat if need be.  May have to change the water once or twice. At 150 you are just keep it at safe temp and not cooking it. And if you have the room keep a freshly heated jug or two along for the ride.
    Thanks buddy

• Hotch
    Safe travels my friend. Please tell Linda we said hi.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Where in Ma are you headed, no good Q here, but you can definitely get your fill of lobster and fried clams.
  • Mickey
    Phatchris said:
    Where in Ma are you headed, no good Q here, but you can definitely get your fill of lobster and fried clams.
    First 4 days in Portsmouth and 4 days in BoothBay. We drove last year to Bar Harbor and then fell in love with Camden. Some friends talked us into BoothBay. Very open to ideas you may have.  It will be 101 in Salado Tuesday, so looking forward to your weather. 
    mjrawls@me.com

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2016
    Maybe use a heating pad?
  • Mickey
    @SGH just what is those pictures. And yes I will follow your advice. Thanks

• Mickey

Phatchris said:
    Just for the record there is nothing wrong with Bar Harbor in the beauty, just too many of me (tourists).  Camden seemed more spread out and looked just like a travel ad. 

• Phatchris
    edited July 2016
    Mickey said:
    Phatchris said:
    First 4 days in Portsmouth and 4 days in BoothBay. We drove last year to Bar Harbor and then fell in love with Camden. Some friends talked us into BoothBay. Very open to ideas you may have.  It will be 101 in Salado Tuesday, so looking forward to your weather. 
    mjrawls@me.com
    I'm actually in Ma(Massachusetts), not Maine(ME), but have family in Maine.. The Portsmouth area is great for beer and food, The Portsmouth Pub and Brewery is a fun spot ... Portland is like Portsmouth on Steroids beer and food everywhere.

One of my favorite restaurants of all time is in Camden, Francine Bistro. Sopressata stuffed pork chop...
  • Phatchris
    Also if you don't mind waiting in a long line hit up Red's in Wicasset or if you don't like lines Sea Basket.
  • Mickey
    @Phatchris  l screw those up ME and MA.  Maine ME  Maine Me Maine ME. 
    We will be back in Camden and look that up. 
    I had one of the two best sandwiches ever last year in Camden. It was a Ruben made with haddock. Oddly enough the other was last summer as well but in Big Sur a $17.00 lettuce and tomato sandwiche (the wild thing it was worth it). 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Another great restaurant in the area is Primo in Rockland.  If you go there plan on getting there early, get a cocktail, and stroll the farm.  Belfast is a really nice little town a little further north from Camden where the Passagassawakeag meets Penobscot Bay.

I love the mid-coast region as well, I grew up just inland from Camden (probably 35 minutes without summer traffic), and do love the Rockport, Rockland, Belfast, Searsport area.  I agree about Bar Harbor being a tourist trap, at least during the summer months.  Don't paint the rest of Mount Desert Island with the same brush though.  Southwest Harbor is still a great little town and Acadia NP is one of my favorite places on earth - there is a reason it is one of the ten most visited parks (and 2nd most visited east of the Mississippi).  I firmly believe that seeing a sunrise from Cadillac Mountain is something everyone should do once.

It might not work for this trip, but if you go up again, I'd suggest looking into the Blue Hill area as well.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Did the Yeti corn boil at last year's "Suare Over Labor Day" we host annually. 40 ears. Worked out pretty well. Be careful where you drain it.
    Rtic can't do it.
    Yeti clearly states "Cheap coolers will crack." Rtic has also changed their warranty from 7 years to 90 days.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    That's pretty cool, and neat that he done it. But I still would not risk warping or weakening a high end cooler. Again I'm basing my thoughts on what I have seen fooling with polypropylene at work. At a true 200 degrees, you can start to reshape it or reform it. You might get away with doing it a time or two, but ultimately I feel it will cause issues. If nothing else, I bet it will wreak havoc on the drain plug (cause leaks). I would at least ask Yeti or any manufacturer before I attempted it to see if it would void the warranty. It's kind of like me running some of my big units at 550 degrees. I did it a few times and now they leak around the seals. I haven't personally asked Yeti about using boiling water in their coolers, but I have a hunch as to what they will say. Just my thoughts. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    YukonRon said:
    Did the Yeti corn boil at last year's "Suare Over Labor Day" we host annually. 40 ears. Worked out pretty well. Be careful where you drain it.
    Rtic can't do it.
    Yeti clearly states "Cheap coolers will crack." Rtic has also changed their warranty from 7 years to 90 days.
    Rtic website still says their warranty is 7 years. The 90 days is a "no hassle returns" if one is not liking the product.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I'd just leave the lid open and put it in the sun for a few hours. I heated mine like that by cleaning and forgetting it all day. Pulled it in the garage at 6 and at 10 it was still warm. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    I'd just leave the lid open and put it in the sun for a few hours. I heated mine like that by cleaning and forgetting it all day. Pulled it in the garage at 6 and at 10 it was still warm. 
    Winner

• SGH
    Mickey said:
    @SGH just what is those pictures. 
    That is polypropylene, the wicked stepsister to polyethylene which is what Yeti and all other rotomolded coolers are made from. We use polypropylene on subsea pipelines for protection. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey said:
    Winner
    Glad I could help. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Mickey you could nuke a couple of wet tea towels and place them in the yeti.
     Our column heaters are roto molded and we set the highest hear limit to 90degrees C. Scottie has it right.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey you could nuke a couple of wet tea towels and place them in the yeti.
     Our column heaters are roto molded and we set the highest hear limit to 90degrees C. Scottie has it right.  
    Your thoughts of just opening the top about 10:00 sitting in the sun and using about 2:00. It will be about 99 Monday 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I can't wait to try the corn on the cob trick.  
  • Hotch
    I think I would rather grill the corn on the egg.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Should work. Closed car in hot sun might work too.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • One alternative I have used is to heat a couple foil lined bricks in the egg and then wrap bricks in towels and put them in the cooler.  Don't have a yeti but it did not damage a much cheaper cooler when we did this to take food tailgating. The bricks seem to hold heat well for the trip