Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fired it up.

Options
pgprescott
pgprescott Posts: 14,544
Assembled a Weber summit from the warehouse. Fired it up and cooked some sausage and a pork loin. Didn't have much time to dedicate to it as we were busy. Just basically used it as a kettle. I intend to move the coal grate down tomorrow and cook some ribs and what not. In getting pretty jacked about this thing. It appears to be very versatile. More to come!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @pgprescott -  looking forward to your review/insights.  Visited the local BGE and Weber dealer at the end of May for a show and tell-nothing spectacular but did not showcase what the Weber brand is advertising for the rig.  Same set-up as you pic'd above, and had been on-site since mid April:  Here's a post I offered in April:
    "Earlier this AM I saw the table version live at my BGE (and Weber) dealer.  It is well built but waaay out of my price league.  I'm sure it will attract  those who have grown up with webers and are looking to move on to a new high-end charcoal cooker.  Cooking size of the XL and its sure appears like they used that price point (with platesetter and nest) as a target for the tri-pod model.  They will sell but it won't have the low&slow staying power of a BGE (and that will likely not be a factor for many who are looking to buy as those customers probably aren't familiar with a BGE) based on the available fuel volume.  
    Weber knows their market-they get $1300 for their 36" kettle so this is not a reach for them.  Wonder what their guesstimated initial sales (year one) volume is?."
    I truly have a soft spot for Weber products as I have grown up with them for several decades but I'm beyond the initial "gotta have" impulse.  And life goes on.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tonight is a Weber night for us as well, nothing like your Weber night mind you, but still a Weber night. Quick burgers on the Smokey Joe...

EDIT - great looking rig, enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @pgprescott -  looking forward to your review/insights.  Visited the local BGE and Weber dealer at the end of May for a show and tell-nothing spectacular but did not showcase what the Weber brand is advertising for the rig.  Same set-up as you pic'd above, and had been on-site since mid April:  Here's a post I offered in April:
    "Earlier this AM I saw the table version live at my BGE (and Weber) dealer.  It is well built but waaay out of my price league.  I'm sure it will attract  those who have grown up with webers and are looking to move on to a new high-end charcoal cooker.  Cooking size of the XL and its sure appears like they used that price point (with platesetter and nest) as a target for the tri-pod model.  They will sell but it won't have the low&slow staying power of a BGE (and that will likely not be a factor for many who are looking to buy as those customers probably aren't familiar with a BGE) based on the available fuel volume.  
    Weber knows their market-they get $1300 for their 36" kettle so this is not a reach for them.  Wonder what their guesstimated initial sales (year one) volume is?."
    I truly have a soft spot for Weber products as I have grown up with them for several decades but I'm beyond the initial "gotta have" impulse.  And life goes on.  FWIW-
    I just watched a guy on YouTube put 13.5 # of kingsford in it and ran for over 50 hours between 225 and 250! He used the guru and did rake up the coals several times, but good lord! We will see. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I may have seen that or a related video when this first hit the streets.  Hopefully you can put it thru a good low&slow exercise and let us know your thoughts.  Always fun to play with new toys, even at my age.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @pgprescott. Looking forward to hearing more on this unit.
    Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I may have seen that or a related video when this first hit the streets.  Hopefully you can put it thru a good low&slow exercise and let us know your thoughts.  Always fun to play with new toys, even at my age.  ;)
    The one I watched was from baby back maniac. He has done a few. He started out mocking the thing but has turned a 180. I'm kinda doing the same thing. Everything about it has exceeded my expectations, so far. I'm stoked. Hope I don't get let down. There is going to be an adjustment from ceramic Kamado cooking. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @pgprescott - you can throttle back on the enthusiasm as I talked my way down from that cliff a few months ago.  Don't need to do it again.  I clearly don't need ( life is not based on need alone) it but it's only about 10 SRF briskets... (as he heads for the cliff again)  ;)
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I see them taking a while to gain traction with these. Only  the hardcover outdoor cooks are gonna even know what it is. I personally don't know many people that even know how a egg works. And look how long they've been around. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My brother bought a Weber Smokey Mountain on Friday.  I was over there Friday night helping him dial it in and cook some spares.  Pretty nice smoker with plenty of cooking space.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2016
    Options

It seems that all the peope asking "travelling with my egg" questions may find this to be a better alternative. 

I'm a big fan of the kettle, and still use my performer model a lot.  

Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like Weber and the set up, just don't like the price tag.  Granted it's not far off from what I spent on my XL, but like @lousubcap said I don't need it.  I have a 24" WSM when I need extra room.  @pgprescott, you said you got it from the warehouse, are you a dealer?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ...They will sell but it won't have the low&slow staying power of a BGE (and that will likely not be a factor for many who are looking to buy as those customers probably aren't familiar with a BGE) based on the available fuel volume....
    I've read lots of folks on various forums that have used the new Weber Summit for low and slow cooks. It easily will hold a temp as long (and likely longer than) an XL Egg without needing more fuel.

Even if you did need to add more fuel that is very easy to do with the flip-up hinges on the grates and heat deflector. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    I like Weber and the set up, just don't like the price tag.  Granted it's not far off from what I spent on my XL, but like @lousubcap said I don't need it.  I have a 24" WSM when I need extra room.  @pgprescott, you said you got it from the warehouse, are you a dealer?
    yeah. We sell a lot of Weber. I'm just totally turned around on this thing. I was with you all the way when they intro'd the product. Since seeing it and using it a little bit, I've changed my tune. It comes with the table and diffuser plate too. Seems to  not only hold temps, but can be adjusted both up and down pretty easily. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I'm curious how it will perform in winter conditions?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm curious how it will perform in winter conditions?

I am as well.  Guess we will have to wait a few months for that test.  Another big test is a brisket cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @HeavyG - I wrote that in mid April just after it hit the market.  Based solely on initial postings (not here) and what I was able to determine regarding the fuel load volume and not much more.  Good that I missed the mark.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    About 4 hour rib cook and I can hardly tell that I used any charcoal. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Show 0ff!  ;)
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Well, I sent the Weber Summit off to cook hotdogs with my police chief buddy for a community event. I told him to just take it home and I gave him a packer to cook. He put it on @9 pm last evening and shut the Weber down @1 PM today. Here are a few pics he sent me. I will add more when I get to his house to consume the bad boy. He was skeptical as we all have been until he opened the lid @4 to see the fuel consumption. This is after 16+ cook and shut down! He could do another one, or possibly two more!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Heretic  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My dad was going to get an egg cause of me and how good my ribs are from it, but we were always a weber kettle family and when the summit came out he couldn't resist. It's a good piece of equipment, but there isn't the egghead enthusiasm behind it from what I can tell, just complaining about price. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    My dad was going to get an egg cause of me and how good my ribs are from it, but we were always a weber kettle family and when the summit came out he couldn't resist. It's a good piece of equipment, but there isn't the egghead enthusiasm behind it from what I can tell, just complaining about price. 
    I cannot disagree, but there shouldn't be any complaining about anything IMO. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @pgprescott - Thanks for the heads-up after the pics  ;)   At least I have convinced myself to see how it goes in the winter thus kicking the can for a while.  A great cook for sure.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I'm sure it works as advertised. Weber isn't stupid and I doubt they would bring something to market that didn't meet their reputational standards. That said, it's out of my price range and my BGE does everything that I need it to do. Of course, I imagine a Kamado Joe or even a Vision would suit my needs if I had ended up with one of them instead. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    My dad doesn't complain, he loves it; i read others complaining or saying it's too much $.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Hans61 said:
    My dad doesn't complain, he loves it; i read others complaining or saying it's too much $.
    A that was my initial reaction too, so I get it. Once I used it and realized it's basically an XL BGE with a SS top cart and gas assisted lighting, I changed my tune. Not over priced at all. Very comparable. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @pgprescott do you thing that the  diffuser plate and cooking grid could be adapted to use in an XL. I think the insets for he grid would be awesome and like the idea of being able to add more fule to the fire if ever needed.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2