Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron for the XL?

Options

I am aware of the BGE 1/2 cast iron but at 160.00 dollars I thought I would reach out, I would love a 18/20 inch round CI,

Thanks,

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Sub'd, I would like the same.

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I have seen a cast iron grid for the XL that is literally 5 pieces that come together as 1 grid. Basically 4 parts of the grid can be pulled out or removed for different cooking options. I dont know of the price but i imagine its up there.
    Austin, Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I have this and I love it. Fits perfect on an XL. 20 inch Cast Skillet.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    There is also a 3 piece i have seen same design
    Austin, Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    There is also a 3 piece i have seen same design
    I believe the 3 piece one is same company but a smaller size. They also have a 2 piece for the Small BGE and other grills that use 13"
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I failed to mention that I am looking for a cast iron griddle. I have a 16 inch lodge skillet but am looking for some thing with out high sides of a skillet.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Love CI, but those Craycorts would be a PITA to deal with, on any grill.  Taking them in and out frequently.  No thanks, especially at that price.  

My 2 cents, and experiences with various size griddles, grids....

Use my Tuscan Grill on the kettle(with legs removed on top of OEM grid), and campfire(with legs).  The legs screw on/off, and I can elevate it higher if needed over the fire with bricks, if I don't want to wait for embers.  The paint coated campfire ones were no bueno.  Most times, on the OTG, I prefer a two-zone fire, where an entire CI grid may not be needed.  After building a sear, sometimes it's nice to hold things off heat.  The CI, and it's heat retention qualities, would work against you here, continuing to sear/cook.

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Tuscan/dp/B0007ZGUL6

I also use a pair of Mangrates.  I can easily lay them on top of the BGE standard grid, raise with the AR, and move from Large Egg, to Kettle, to Jumbo Joe.  May even lay a Mangrate on top of the firebox of the KBQ for lunches.  They(Tuscan Grill, and Mangrates) are versatile, not a one trick pony. 

I'm a HUGE Francis Mallmann fan, but differ, and prefer the grid vs griddle over fire, for most items.  He's all about the chapa, and char, and showmanship.  But why labor for hours building a fire, and then use a griddle?  It's all about knowing your fire, timing the BTUs(depending on items to cook), finding the sweet spot(distance from it), and dealing with the elements.

Seemed that when I cooked foods with my Griswold griddle on the egg, the food lacked that grilled kiss of fire flavor.  Even with, hitting it, with smoke.  Figured I might as well save lump and put the griddle on the cooktop, or....
    The Blackstone Tailgater is $80 at Ace =) , and worth a look.  Cheap enough to dedicate for griddle cooks, and big enough to crank out a decent amount of grub.  I would pay 160 for this thing in a heartbeat.  

Lowe's has 4 packs of the Coleman tanks for $14 something.  $6 something for a 2 pack at WallyWorld 

http://m.acehardware.com//product/index.jsp?productId=81342696
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Grill grates is also an alternative.