Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick Porterhouse Pork Chops

500 Posts: 3,177
400* to 450* direct cook. These were pre-brined chops from Sam's Club, maybe 2" thick. Took 45 minutes to get to 138*ish degrees IT. For the first 30 minutes I grilled them vertical on the bone side. They were thick enough that they could stand up on their own. Then grilled meat side until done, flipping and rotating often. Some lid open, some closed, some with lid propped open with tongs. The best part of the meat was near the bone, and the tenderloin part the strip was a bit overcooked. So hard to get pork chops juicy and tender. It's so lean. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'd hit that all day long. Love thick pork chops. P

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Looks very good. That is just begging for some sauteed apples on the side.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Oh heck yeah.... One of my favorites!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Never tried cooking them standing on the bone. Might try that.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Toxarch said:
    Never tried cooking them standing on the bone. Might try that.
    What I feel it does is cook it internally and sort of indirect, in that there is no direct contact to over char the outside before it's done. I think I saw someone like APL do it with steaks once. I think it's a way to slow down a cook if needed. 
    Member since 2009
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Love me some pok chops....especially with a little mustard sauce on them. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
    Love me some pok chops....especially with a little mustard sauce on them. =)
    In fact I did put some mustard sauce on them and they were better. Thanks again for showing me the mustard sauce light. I'm a convert. 
    Member since 2009
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    mustard sauce ?
    are we talking straight up mustard ? or something a little more special 
    Cary NC
    This is some special South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce. 
    Member since 2009
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    care to share recipe or brand of sauce? always looking to try a different sauce on pork chops to juice them up some. Never thought of a mustard based always thought of going to the sweet/fruit base.

Cary NC
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Nice chops...did some a week ago after seeing a couple of others posts....I think they need to move higher up in the rotation..
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I'd bust those chops any day of the week. Good job!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
    jad said:
    care to share recipe or brand of sauce? always looking to try a different sauce on pork chops to juice them up some. Never thought of a mustard based always thought of going to the sweet/fruit base.

The sauce came from Maurice's; https://www.piggiepark.com/.  A very kind forum member sent it to me.  I can not share his name, for fear that he will be inundated with requests to send out the sauce.  But he knows who he is, and can come forth is he wants to. 

Member since 2009
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I love big thick pork chops.  Very nice.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Those chops look great! Ever tried to sear them hot first, rest, then roast at a low temp? Like a t-rex method for steak. Seems to do the trick for us on the large thick cuts. But I don't rest after the roast portion if I don't have to. Straight to the plate. Anyways they look killer and I'd eat em!