Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs

Options
One of my favorites. S&P and a little ancho, about 5 and a half hours at 250. Like brisket in half the time.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    looks great
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    As you said, brisket on a stick and a whole lot less finesse to nail 'em.  Great cook right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    https://youtu.be/k0AuipqPqsU
    These are one of my many favorites. Hard to beat them when they're done right. Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Drool, yum!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The only beef plate ribs I can find are already cut into single ribs for some reason. Hesitant to get them for fear the singles will dry out. Yours look tasty. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup!  Fantastic.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    Very nice.  I cooked the same thing tonight.  Easily my favorite cooks.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    What was the internal when you pulled?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Pulled at 200 or so. Treated it just like a brisket. Started probing around 190 and pulled when it was like buttah
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2016
    Options
    500 said:
    The only beef plate ribs I can find are already cut into single ribs for some reason. Hesitant to get them for fear the singles will dry out. Yours look tasty. 
    Singles are standard where I live. The plate section one have always turned out really good. Chuck section can be iffy.

I suspect they are cut singly because they tend to be rather expensive, and are something of a rarity.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    gdenby said:
    500 said:
    Singles are standard where I live. The plate section one have always turned out really good. Chuck section can be iffy.

I suspect they are cut singly because they tend to be rather expensive, and are something of a rarity.
    There is so much fat and connective tissue these will not dry out. If anything, they will provide more bark. Go for it! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @500 - I can get uncut short ribs (4 bone) at the local Kroger-try asking at the meat counter.  
    And as above, even the single cut ones turn out great.
    Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @500 - I can get uncut short ribs (4 bone) at the local Kroger-try asking at the meat counter.  
    Ok. So I ask my Kroger "butcher/meat repackager" for 4 bone plate ribs, not chuck and not back; correct?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow those look fantastic. They don't look too fatty either. Most of the time the ones around me are pretty fatty. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Great job on the beef ribs, the look amazing!!!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Amazingribs calls for 225 for up to 8 hours to get to 203 degree for plate ribs. 

I've done mine at 250-275 in less time but pulled at 190ish. I've had mixed results though the best were grass fed. 

I've got a two bone 3.3 pound plate thawing for a Tuesday cook. Going to follow amazingribs advice, 

Bought at Pattons in Duluth, GA (metro ATL). 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    500 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Ok. So I ask my Kroger "butcher/meat repackager" for 4 bone plate ribs, not chuck and not back; correct?
    Yes. They cut them at the store. They will ha e no problem handing you uncut ones.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Actually there is a difference between the plate and chuck short ribs.  Most likely your normal chain grocery store will carry the chuck short ribs in the uncut version.  But worth asking.