Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any body got a knock your socks off banana-nut bread recipe?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I want to bake one on my egg soon. TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited June 2016
    dont have a nut bread recipe, but have you ever done the campbells tomato soup cake recipe with the simple cream cheese frosting. used to fight over that. add nuts and raisins
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'll have to find mine. Let the bananas get black and add it to a batter that is essentially a cheesecake/pound cake hybrid. It is definitely not good for you.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is EGGlicious!
    Bread, Banana Nut, Egret

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups all-purpose Flour
    1 tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp double-acting Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts
    2 ripe Bananas, peeled
    1 cup Sugar
    3 large Eggs
    1 Stick Butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup Buttermilk
    1 Tbs Vanilla Extract

Procedure:

1. Preheat BGE to 350 degrees F with plate setter (legs up), grid on plate setter and pizza stone on grid..

2. In a large bowl, mix thoroughly the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nuts.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the remainder of the ingredients together.

4. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and thoroughly combine.

5. Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 5"; X 9"; loaf pan.

6. Place pan on the pizza stone and bake for 1 hour or until the bread is brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

7. Turn the bread out on a wire rack and let cool.

Recipe Type: Bread

Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)
    Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '08, Egret

• RRP
    dont have a nut bread recipe, but have you ever done the campbells tomato soup cake recipe with the simple cream cheese frosting. used to fight over that. add nuts and raisins
    never even heard of it!
  • RRP
    I'll have to find mine. Let the bananas get black and add it to a batter that is essentially a cheesecake/pound cake hybrid. It is definitely not good for you.
    standing by!
  • RRP

This is EGGlicious!
    Bread, Banana Nut, Egret

Thanks, Richard printed and ready to try - I know John's reputation as a baker so I'm sure it's a winner!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    RRP said:
    This is the one I use and like 
    http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/2016/05/banana-walnut-bread.html

Ross
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    This is the one I use and like 
    http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/2016/05/banana-walnut-bread.html

Ross
    Thanks, Ross!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Give it a try Ron, I baked four loves this morning and they are delicious,

Ross
  • RRP
    edited June 2016

Ross
    4 loafs? Oh MAN - I'd weigh 600 pounds if I get hooked on that recipe - which I'm sure I will! Note to self...go easy! BTW seeing I have never baked one before how long does it take for bananas to ripen? I'm serious!
  • Ross in Ventura
    RRP said:

Ross
    4 loafs? Oh MAN - I'd weigh 600 pounds if I get hooked on that recipe - which I'm sure I will! Note to self...go easy! BTW seeing I have never baked one before how long does it take for bananas to ripen? I'm serious!
    RRP said:

Ross
    RRP said:

Ross
    It takes 4or 5 daye or you can out them in the oven @350* until they get black and cool down here are the pictures from today
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/RossMaehl/2016/f9f50620-0808-4518-ae31-aaad744bdbb5_zpskrlqvow4.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/RossMaehl/2016/a6193808-ed2c-47d8-ad8b-24704cf36958_zpsfstpyiua.jpg
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I'll have to look up mine but one of the thing I like about the one I have is that you butter the pan and coat it with a cinnamon and sugar mixture before pouring the batter in.

If I don't get back in time try it with what ever you go with, pretty good IMHO.
  • I get home from work this evening and my wife erin is making a loaf of blueberry banana bread. Must be somethin in the air?  I'll let yall know how it turns out. Smells awesome!

Little Rock, AR

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited June 2016
    Here Ron. I know it's not a banana bread. here's my grandmothers apple cake recipe. It's more like a banana bread texture. Makes a good outer crust it's my favorite. Be sure if you make it to let me know what you think. 

2 cups sugar
    2 to 3 cups of flour 
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon 
    1 1/4 cup veg oil
    2 eggs
    3 cups chopped apples 
    1 tbs vanilla 
    1 cup chopped pecans

Mix all together in order. Bake at 350 in bunt pan 1 hour & 15 minutes. Start checking it at 1 hour. 

I always start with 2 3/4 cups of flour and if it looks too wet add a little flour. And we sometimes grate the apple. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • This time of year there should be some good zucchini bread recipes flying around. 

Little Rock, AR

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    My boss brought some to work on Monday and I have been craving my mom's recipe all week. 

XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • RRP
    texaswig said:
    Here Ron. I know it's not a banana bread. here's my grandmothers apple cake recipe. It's more like a banana bread texture. Makes a good outer crust it's my favorite. Be sure if you make it to let me know what you think. 

2 cups sugar
    2 to 3 cups of flour 
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon 
    1 1/4 cup veg oil
    2 eggs
    3 cups chopped apples 
    1 tbs vanilla 
    1 cup chopped pecans

Mix all together in order. Bake at 350 in bunt pan 1 hour & 15 minutes. Start checking it at 1 hour. 

I always start with 2 3/4 cups of flour and if it looks too wet add a little flour. And we sometimes grate the apple. 
    Thanks, Scott - any particular type of apple that she used or you recommend? As you know they all apples add or take away from some recipes based on how they are used.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I've only made it with red delicious. That's got me wondering how much different it would be with a tart apple. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    BrookieP said:
    My boss brought some to work on Monday and I have been craving my mom's recipe all week. 

Thank you!!! I'm starting a whole new section in my two 3 ring notebooks of recipes for these bread recipes received today. I already had a "baking" section, but I need to split out cakes and breads! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    RRP said:
    never even heard of it!

we have been making this for 4 generations now =) it doesnt mention raisins but it needs a cup of raisins. it does not taste like tomato =)

http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/tomato-soup-spice-cake-24354

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • This is EGGlicious!
    Bread, Banana Nut, Egret

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups all-purpose Flour
    1 tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp double-acting Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts
    2 ripe Bananas, peeled
    1 cup Sugar
    3 large Eggs
    1 Stick Butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup Buttermilk
    1 Tbs Vanilla Extract

Procedure:

1. Preheat BGE to 350 degrees F with plate setter (legs up), grid on plate setter and pizza stone on grid..

2. In a large bowl, mix thoroughly the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nuts.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the remainder of the ingredients together.

4. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and thoroughly combine.

5. Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 5"; X 9"; loaf pan.

6. Place pan on the pizza stone and bake for 1 hour or until the bread is brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

7. Turn the bread out on a wire rack and let cool.

Recipe Type: Bread

Source

Thanks for sharing. Couldn't sleep so I got up and started prepping this. Just about to put it on the Egg. Will be sure to report back on how it turned out.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Absolutely. A recipe that's been in my family for close to 100 years. 
    Banana Nut Bread double loaf 
    Ingredients:
    Black skinned bananas
    :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • .....Just had a quick taste of what's baking (and of what's leaking; more on that later). Fantastic flavour and texture to this banana nut bread. My only tweak would be to use a much bigger bread pan than the 5" by 9" that is suggested. Mine ran WAY over and created a mess on the baking stone, plate setter and fire ring. Hope the burning drippings don't affect flavour of the loaf too much. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    This is how my wife makes hers.
  • Dry
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    Wet
    4 ripe bananas mashed
    1 cup sugar
    1 apple grated
    2 eggs
    1 tsp + vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped walnut

Whisk together dry ingredients.
    in a mixer bowl combine wet ingredients and blend. Add dry ingredients and fold.
    Transfer to a buttered loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hr.

Orygun wine country. MBGE. 2 rescue Labs.
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    I just made this banana zucchini bread this morning. Came out awesome. 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/banana-zucchini-bread
  • RRP
    Looks good! I bought bananas yesterday to start ripening so later this week I'm diving in!
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    I put bananas in the oven at 250 for about 15 mins and they were perfectly ripe
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Better hurry up and takes notes before this post disappears too.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina