Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket repair

Good evening all,
i just installed a new Rutland gasket, when I closed the lid it pushed the gasket forward in the back center. Any help on adjusting the bite etc would be greatly appreciated. As of now I am letting the copper adhesive dry with the lid open.
thanks so much,
Shane

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Shane,
    the adjustments are better made after the Permatex has had 24 hours to cure because the more you mess with it when wet the more likely it will fail. Can you try to just line it up for tonight and just gently close your dome? I can and will talk you through the adjustment of your planes which are out of whack.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Letting it cure without the dome pressing done most likely will cause other issues! Fixing that pushed forward gasket after it is dried is easy to fix, but an unlevel surround is another issue! 
  • RRP
    Shane, are you in Puslinch, ONT? Was that the gasket I sent you back in August, 2015?
  • RRP I live in Lakeland Florida thanks for the advice
    I just closed the lid after 1.5 hrs drying time with lid open will I be in good shape?
  • RRP
    RRP I live in Lakeland Florida thanks for the advice
    I just closed the lid after 1.5 hrs drying time with lid open will I be in good shape?
    Not sure it will be to be blunt. Like I say in my directions Permatex dries in 1 hour, but needs 24 hours to cure. If you have unlevel spots during the 1.5 hours being open then I don't know.
  • RRP
    Guess I didn't sell you that gasket so I'm not sure where all to go now, but I will try to help you after it cures...if I can...
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Good evening all,
    i just installed a new Rutland gasket, when I closed the lid it pushed the gasket forward in the back center. Any help on adjusting the bite etc would be greatly appreciated. As of now I am letting the copper adhesive dry with the lid open.
    thanks so much,
    Shane
    I had the same thing happen. I installed the gasket and closed the dome. The next day I noticed the gasket was out of place at the back. I left it go and a year later has not been a problem.
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    @RRP: I have struggled with the alignment of the BGE since replacing the gasket (sorry, not yours, just the regular one) a few months ago.  Do you have a post on the best way to re-align?  Thanks!
    LBGE
  • RRP
    DTEgg said:
    @RRP: I have struggled with the alignment of the BGE since replacing the gasket (sorry, not yours, just the regular one) a few months ago.  Do you have a post on the best way to re-align?  Thanks!
    I'm in bed now...let me reply tomorrow..OK? 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    RRP. I'm in Puslinch Ontario and my gasket is fantastic!  Thanks again
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRP
    i did buy the gasket from you and have gone commando for years hopefully it will stick
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    RRP, is there a website or video online you can direct us to? I've been commando for years, I have a replacement kit but have yet to do the work.
    Chicago, Illinois
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    there are several posts on band alignment on here and the interwebs.   might try a search especially if you didn't buy from rrp     I know I've seen a few posts with pics of how to align bands for best fit.  I will look for u & repost if I get a chance
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • RRP
    GlennM said:
    RRP. I'm in Puslinch Ontario and my gasket is fantastic!  Thanks again
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • RRP
    DTEgg said:

Your planes are out of whack. First figure out where the space is and how much. IOW Is the back sitting down first or vice versa?

Then depending on which do this. For instance if the back is sitting down leaving the front open...

Place 1 or more quarters on the gasket edge at the back and close your dome. Then loosen your band and press down. That should raise the rear a bit, but tilt the front of your dome downward. Tighten bolts, then remove the quarters. Since the gasket will absorb some of that thickness when compressed you might want to start with at least 2 quarters or even 3.

• Awesome thanks for the help been fishing in the Everglades for few days with no wifi
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
    I'm in bed now...let me reply tomorrow..OK? 
    Get your a$$ out of bed and answer now ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.