Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone marinate their ribeye steaks?

Options
I've always just used a dry rub on my ribeyes, however I was thinking about expanding my horizons and marinating them. Thoughts? If you do and have a marinade recipe you are willing to share, that would be awesome.
THANKS!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't but give it a shot-then you will have a point of departure for the next time.  That's the beauty of cooking/grilling / hosing it up- as long as you somewhat recall how you got there then the next time is another chance to eggsperiment.  And my hosed it up list is quite lengthy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Once upon a time I'd drop all my steaks into Allegro original for 8-24 hours. Still do it occasionally. Make sure you get the surface dry or you'll never get a decent sear.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I usually only mainate less fatty steaks , like sirloin / strip steaks. The Ribeye has that great flavor that come from the fat and marbling. But heres what I use when i do marinate.
    1/2 c soy sauce
    1/2 c teriyaki sauce
    1/2 c worschesire ( sp ) sauce
    1/2 c wine ( whatever I have on hand )
    1 large onion
    1 whole cluster of garlic.
     I liquify the whole mess in a processor  and strain the liquid out and marinate with it....... for 12 - 24 hours
    More meat please !! :-)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    We made hawaiian ribeyes one year that were pretty good.  All we used was pineapple juice and soy sauce
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'll occasionally marinate ribeyes in a teriyaki sauce.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Agree with JohninCarolina, great results with this APL recipe..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I used to always marinade in Dale's. Still do occasionally. My wife prefers them that way.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I used to always marinade in Dale's. 
    At one time I put Dales on just about everything. Sausage included. After years of doing it, I kind of got burned out on it. I will still hit pork steaks with it from time to time. At one time I thought it was the bomb. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @sgh me and you both. We used to even put it in the green beans.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @sgh me and you both. We used to even put it in the green beans.
    My youngest son would soak loaf bread in Dales and eat it.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    @SGH i have used dale's/moore's on everything cooked around here for years. I think i have reached that "burned out" point as well...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH i have used dale's/moore's on everything cooked around here for years. I think i have reached that "burned out" point as well...
    I can honestly say from about 1985 to somewhere around 1997 we put it on at least one thing daily. I certainly reached the burned out phase. For some reason I still really enjoy it on pork steaks though.  

Status- Standing by.

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    I am not a marinade fan for the more flavorful cuts like ribeye, a reverse sear with some oak smoke is my preferred method...just a hint of smoke and the meat is always spot on...
    LBGE
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I like to use the old Steak And Ale Kensington Club marinade.
    http://noelj4243.empowernetwork.com/blog/steak-and-alejolly-ox-restaurant-recipe

I really like it. 
    It works on steak or chicken.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2016
    Options
    With a less marbled ribeye, I will sometimes marinate them in Italian dressing. Put it in a zip lock bag and in the fridge overnight. Lots of flame up when you cook it but holy moly it comes out with an awesome flavor and very tender. Don't do it with a heavy marbled steak or it might fall apart. I might do it once a year for something different. Great for any kind of steak.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Soy Sauce for about 30 minutes a side. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I grew up with them marinated in soy, Worcestershire, lime juice and garlic.  My parents still do it that way - along with beef tenderloin.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Italian dressing and Worstershire (Spelled wrong I'm sure ) Sauce .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Recovering Dale's addict. Now I only use salt and pepper. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I mostly use dry seasonings but my wife loves this marinade.
    half cup EVOO
    half cup worcestershire sauce 
    two sprigs of fresh rosemary
    two springs of fresh thyme
    fresh garlic minced, chopped etc.

I rub the garlic on both sides of the steak and mix the rest in a ziplock bag with the meat for 2-12 hours. 

Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    this pic is not ribeye, but i do make crying tiger steaks from ribeye =)

then theres terryaki ribeye, 50 times better than the resteraunt ones

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it