Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in Chops: Direct or Indirect

Options
rabBGE
rabBGE Posts: 4
Hey all - I've cooked pork chops twice this week. I grilled the first group on direct heat... turned out okay, but I let the internal temp get away from me a little... pulled at about 155. Yikes. I don't think I should have thrown my soaked wood chunks into the middle of the grill. Maybe along the edges would have been smarter? Flames picked up a bit and cooked through faster than I hoped. They weren't bad or particularly dry... just a little firmer than I would have preferred. The pair I cooked last night went indirect. They were about 1.5 inches thick. Pulled at about 144 internal temp and were better. Took a photo you should be able to see here.

Do you have a preference between direct or indirect? Or maybe it doesn't matter much as long as you pull at the right internal temp?

Also, this is my first real post. I've had an XLBGE for about a year and man do I love it. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Direct for me. Pic looks great. I don't use any smoking wood for steaks and chops. Personal preference. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    they look great to me.

they are steaks.  you wouldn't bake a steak, wouldja? always direct.  unless they are so big that they are a roast. hahaha

really thick chops you can sear and then roast.  drag them off to the side, or you can go reverse sear.  that'd be indirect and the direct.

i find it easier to grill direct then move the meat off to the side where it is cooler.

FWIW, you shouldn't have any flames from wood chunk or chips.  maybe when you open the dome (and it gets a fresh inrush of air), but when you shut it, they will go out.  fairly quickly too, even at nuclear temps.

the flames from the chips didn't overcook the pork.  flames are colder than the lump anyway.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    They look like the ones I just ate for dinner !! Good Job :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Raised direct on thick chops here. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • rabBGE
    Options
    they look great to me.

they are steaks.  you wouldn't bake a steak, wouldja? 

D'oh! ... well if you want to put it that way. ;) 
  • rabBGE
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Both, like @Darby_Crenshaw said.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Direct.   Great looking chops.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.