Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss Rocks!!!

Options
So a friend of ours had a baby and my wife suggested cooking them supper.  I found pork butts yesterday for .97 a lb which is a great deal around here.  I bought a couple.  Put one 8.5 lber on this morning around 7:30.  I've been at work all day while my egg & flame boss do all the work.  Able to watch temp, control temp, etc all from my desk at work.  Phenomenal device!  How did I ever live without it. 

Hoping is done by 5;00-6:00 (central time) - Currently cooking at 270 - internal temp at 179.  What you guys think - should be done in a couple hours right??

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I think you will be ok.  If you have been going at 270 all day, it will not hurt to bump to 325 if you are concerned and want to speed it up a bit.  The flame boss can't foil it and put it in the cooler for you though if you finish before you get home.  :smiley:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Cool!  I have a Stoker, not a Flame Boss, but love it. Almost feels like cheating. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Agree,....Almost like cheating.

I get off at 5 and live 10 mins from work.  When i got off internal was 199.  It was perfect timing!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    corey24 said:
    ... I've been at work all day while my egg & flame boss do all the work.  Able to watch temp, control temp, etc all from my desk at work.  Phenomenal device!  How did I ever live without it. 
    I did not know this technology existed...

So, I knew from the Firecraft listing that this could connect to my smartphone via wifi, but I thought it stopped there.  Limited only to an in-house monitor, probably annoying when I want to disconnect my phone to connect to another wifi.  While I have heard of people controlling remotely I figured it was a complicated hack I didn't want to deal with.

...but, you're telling me if this thing is connected to your home network, you can check it from ANYWHERE and control the temps?!?

I have been  living in the dark ages.  
    I'm also 10 minutes away from work and have been denying myself fresh BBQ mid-week because of not being able to be on hand to watch it.  :pig:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    corey24 said:
    ... I've been at work all day while my egg & flame boss do all the work.  Able to watch temp, control temp, etc all from my desk at work.  Phenomenal device!  How did I ever live without it. 

So, I knew from the Firecraft listing that this could connect to my smartphone via wifi, but I thought it stopped there.  Limited only to an in-house monitor, probably annoying when I want to disconnect my phone to connect to another wifi.  While I have heard of people controlling remotely I figured it was a complicated hack I didn't want to deal with.

...but, you're telling me if this thing is connected to your home network, you can check it from ANYWHERE and control the temps?!?

I'm also 10 minutes away from work and have been denying myself fresh BBQ mid-week because of not being able to be on hand to watch it.  :pig:

Anywhere from any device with Internet access.

Worrying about the stuff on my smoker cut short many boating hours. Very nice being to quickly glance at the phone to see how things are going.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • vegas slim
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    corey24 said:

it is a great tool to have heck you can adjust it from the grocery store etc plus it keeps nice graphs of pit temp food temp etc that you can look at in future to compare cooks etc
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    corey24 said:

@KiterTodd - it is kind of cool the way the flame boss works. The device sends and receives data through the "myflameboss" web site.  Basically every so often it uploads the current data and checks for setting changes. So, all you need to do is get it connected to wifi and then it is connected to the interwebs. You just need to know the unique device id and then you can log into the site from anywhere. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    +1
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jhwilkin
    Jhwilkin Posts: 22
    Options
    Absolutely love the FB200. Works exactly as advertised every time. 
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    It's a great accessory. Mine is at work right now on a pork shoulder.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @KiterTodd - it is kind of cool the way the flame boss works. The device sends and receives data through the "myflameboss" web site.  Basically every so often it uploads the current data and checks for setting changes. So, all you need to do is get it connected to wifi and then it is connected to the interwebs. You just need to know the unique device id and then you can log into the site from anywhere. 
    That's awesome.  Thanks for all the feedback.

Maybe I'll get one today.  It's no a moderate sale now at FC (the FB100 is at a deeper discount), but since they have free shipping going on it's a little better.

I'm not used to getting that kind of functionality without having to hack the home wifi and/or pay a yearly fee.

One last question...I'm aware that I am talking mostly to FB advocates now, but are there other products I should look at before purchase or after your research is this the most reliable and easy to use?

I would love to have a shoulder on right now, @SmokingPiney .  Good stuff.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @KiterTodd, the first time I used my FB200 was in a blizzard last January with 50 mph wind gusts and 2 feet of snow. I was cooking a pork shoulder for burnt ends (same cook I'm doing today). 

The FB kept the Egg right at temp within 2 degress for the entire cook - while I sat in my house with hot coffee (a little bourbon by the end of the cook) and stayed warm. 

It sets up very easily, and it's super easy to use. It's the best purchase that I've made for my Egg. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DaBudDawg
    Options
    Where is the best pace to buy one?
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I think @stlcharcoal is a dealer.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    DaBudDawg said:
    Where is the best pace to buy one?

I got my FB 200 from Amazon for $329.99.  The seller had a lot of positive reviews, and if a review was negative, he responded to the buyer and fixed the issue for them.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I love mine, and use it a lot more than I thought I would.  @kitertodd the thing that sold me on the FB was I didn't have to mess with my router to get access from the outside.  If you're looking at the 200, just make sure you have a wifi signal next to your egg.

customer service is great.  I recently had a probe die, within the warranty period.  I sent a message on a Sunday, had a response Monday morning that they had shipped out a new probe. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I bought mine (FB200) directly from the manufacturer and my first cook with the FB,  I was having a ton of issues with the temp being stoked and running as much as 40° above target. I came on the forum on a Saturday after not being able to reach FB by phone and was outlining my problems. To my surprise, someone from FB was monitoring the forum and saw my post. He said my outside power source (also could have been the older extention cord I was using, since replaced) was noisy and the FB checks for such things and thought there was a problem with the egg temp. The FB saw that noisy line as a drop in temps so it stoked that flame. The guy from FB went into my unit vis the Internet, made an adjustment to it so that it wasn't as sensitive to checking for the noise and from that minute, the FB was perfection and veered only a degree or two from target the rest (hours) of the pork butt cook. 

So not only is the Flame Boss a great controller but their customer service is top notch in my book.
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Did anyone compare it to the Stoker before purchase? 
    The Wifi Stoker II kit with 5cfm fan seems to be at the same price point.
    I only have one large BGE, so I'm going for simplest here.  Everything I've heard about the Flame Boss sounds great.  Other than they all seem to have a minimal few button chicklet key interface.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Did anyone compare it to the Stoker before purchase? 
    The Wifi Stoker II kit with 5cfm fan seems to be at the same price point.
    I only have one large BGE, so I'm going for simplest here.  Everything I've heard about the Flame Boss sounds great.  Other than they all seem to have a minimal few button chicklet key interface.
    Never considered the Stoker...went right for the FB...........and haven't looked back.  :)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @KiterTodd the chiclet keys aren't used much. The first time you use it you have to enter your wifi password, but it's stored. The only time I use the buttons now is for setting temp if I'm too lazy to pull out my phone. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    My digiQ dx2 works great.  I have never seen it even nudge off of the temp I have it set on.  No wifi though.  Quite a bit cheaper than the FB200 for that reason.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• KiterTodd
    Options
    I was able to pick up the FB200 Wifi from stlcharcoal!  Thanks for the referral @SmokingPiney.  Should be cooking with it this weekend...  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I was able to pick up the FB200 Wifi from stlcharcoal!  Thanks for the referral @SmokingPiney.  Should be cooking with it this weekend...  :plus_one:

You're welcome....have fun!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Should be there tomorrow!  Have fun and give me a call if you have any questions.
  • 321egghead
    Options
    Just ordered mine from @stlcharcoal as well! Cant wait to receive the FB200. Thanks again for all the help! 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I received my FB100 this week. Played with it one day while starting egg up to cook some chicken. I was very pleased with it. Will put it to the test this weekend when I cook some spare ribs.