Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Packer Brisket at H.E.B. for $23.29

Options
Just returned from H.E.B. where they had their Prime un-trimmed packer briskets on sale for $2.69 a pound. Mine is just over 8 1/2 pounds and flops like a sock. 

I've got Aaron Franklin's favorite smoking wood, Post Oak, and my neighbor gave me some butcher paper, and for good measure, we purchased a bottle of Franklin's BBQ sauce. 

I think I'm covered on this one. 

Probably tomorrow. 

Spring "I Could Be Wrong Even When I Think I'm Right" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    Good luck to you.  I'm currently looking for butcher paper myself, to be used during my next brisket cook...  I'll also need to find another USDA PRIME brisket too!
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    NERVOUS said:
    Good luck to you.  I'm currently looking for butcher paper myself, to be used during my next brisket cook...  I'll also need to find another USDA PRIME brisket too!
    This is what I use. I'm a bit of an Amazon addict
    https://www.amazon.com/Peach-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00NC5S6OM 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a good deal! Usually their prime briskets are $1/lb than costco, but that price may even be lower than Costco right now. 

Full cook on the egg or are you going to SV for any time?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's a good deal! Usually their prime briskets are $1/lb than costco, but that price may even be lower than Costco right now. 

Full cook on the egg or are you going to SV for any time?
    I'm doing it as close to possible as Aaron Franklin does his.  If it works, I may go buy another one and sous vide it.  I'm thinking I might cold smoke it first with a heavy dose of smoke, then into the sous vide bath for 72 hours, followed by a final 'rest' on the Egg but wrapped in butcher paper.  We'll see.

Spring "Not All Of What I'm Thinking Works" Chicken

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2016
    Options

8 1/2 pound packer brisket must be from a very small cow and will be very tender!

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Bruce is stopping by HEB on his way home from work tonight.  We want to try a brisket flat, using the technique we used on the giant beef ribs that you had last weekend, @Spring_Chicken.  It will be seasoned with salt and rub, smoked over pecan and hickory for 3 hours, sous vide at 135 for about 44 hours, flash cooled, then seared when we are ready to eat it.  We'll see how it goes.  The success with the ribs makes us very eggcited to try this!

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Bruce is stopping by HEB on his way home from work tonight.  We want to try a brisket flat, using the technique we used on the giant beef ribs that you had last weekend, @Spring_Chicken.  It will be seasoned with salt and rub, smoked over pecan and hickory for 3 hours, sous vide at 135 for about 44 hours, flash cooled, then seared when we are ready to eat it.  We'll see how it goes.  The success with the ribs makes us very eggcited to try this!

Sounds interesting.  Keep notes.  Take photos.  Have fun.

Spring "How Come All Egg Cook Plans End With Have Fun" Chicken