Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a Chicken Boti recipe?

Options
I am going nuts trying to get a nice white meat chixken stained orange pink for kebabs.    I did get garam marsala from whole foods and mix it with yogurt, lime, and garlic but it jsut doesnt seem to have the depth of flavor im looking for...

Anyone out there have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Try adding some coriander, cumin and turmeric. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    The key ingredient to have an all natural red color is the ground chilli pepper. We use Kashmiri chilli peppers which are roasted and ground or you can pick up a pre-ground Kashmiri chilli powder in an Indian grocery store. These give fantastic red color to the meat. I would avoid the artificial food colorings.

Here's a recipe that I use:

Ingredients:
        Chicken 500 gm (boneless) 
    •  Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp 
    •  Red chilli powder 2 tsp 
    •  Turmeric powder ½ tsp 
    •  Cumin powder ¼ tsp 
    •  Black pepper to taste 
    •  Salt to taste 
    •  2 tablespoon Oil 
    •  Yogurt 2/3 cup (whisked) 
    •  Lemon juice 4 tbsp 
    •  Fresh coriander 1 tbsp (chopped) 

For garnishing: 

•  Mixed salad leaves 
    •  Lemon wedges 
    •  Onion 
    •  Fresh coriander leaves

Preparation:
    -Cut up the chicken breast or chicken thighs into cubes.

-In a bowl mix the chicken, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds powder along with the salt, black pepper and ginger garlic paste together along with 2 tbsp oil. 

-Add the yogurt and lemon juice and mix well to combine. 

-Stir in the chopped fresh coriander. 

-Put the marinated chicken pieces in a ziplock bag and leave to marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator. 

-Get the Big Green Egg  ready to cook direct at a temperature of approx 375 - 400 degrees

-Slide the chicken pieces onto skewers and reserve the excess marinade

- Cook for approximately 15 minutes once you BGE comes up to temperature. Baste with the reserved marinade and turn the skewers to even out the chicken pieces exposed to the fire.

- Cook for another 15 minutes until the chicken pieces register 165 degrees on an instant meat thermometer like a Thermapen.

-Baste the chicken pieces with clarified butter (ghee) and cook them for 1 more minute and pull them out from the BGE.

-Serve hot over salad leaves along with onions, lemon wedges and sprinkle freshly cut coriander leaves over the chicken pieces.

PS: I also like to use chicken thighs and they turn out softer than the chicken breasts.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude, @fljoemon pretty much nailed it. I might even steal the recipe myself :)

Garam masala is an accent spice mix - usually used in smaller amounts than the staples (coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric).

If you have an Indian grocer nearby, look for "chaat masala" and use to garnish the chicken after its cooked, or even mix it into the marinade the next time. 

I don't let the chicken marinate in yogurt for more than a few hours, because the chicken becomes too mushy for me. If marinating overnight, I add just a little yogurt. Add a 1-2 tablespoons of mayo to the marinade, and the marinade coats the meat nicely, and self-bastes while grilling. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Awesome recipe. Saved 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I forgot to add - try adding some dried fenugreek leaves to the marinade one time and see what you think. Maybe 1-2 TBSP for 4 chicken quarters.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @fljoemon,

Wow. Thanks for the awesome ingredient combo, the coloration and ginger garlic paste i think will do the trick!    When i make this, ill post results here with picts

Many many thanks again!