Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leave butt on egg 8hrs after cook is done to keep it warm?

MisterCode
MisterCode Posts: 69
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
So I just got a 7.5lb butt tucked in for the night. Grill locked in at 225F. It should be done around by 9 or 10:00a tomorrow. Guests don't show up for dinner till 5:30p. I could pull it when it hits 200 internal, wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler till dinner. 

Or would there be any harm in just closing off all the air and let it sit in the egg as the egg falls from 225 down to low 100s? Just leaving it in there untouched and pull it off when the guests arrive?
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I've Ftc for 6 hours.  Id bet you could go longer
    Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I'd FTC or wrap in HDAF and set oven for 170 and throw it in there

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    My Egg is pretty cool after about two hours, I wouldn't leave the food in for more than that.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    FTC it.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Why design for a protracted hold?  That said, you can easily FTC (with prep work) for 8+ hours.  Enjoy the ride.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    8 hours is a long time.  I'd go with the advice above wrap the beast and set oven to a food safe temp and let it ride.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • MisterCode
    Boy I have been away awhile... What do HDAF and FTC stand for?
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Boy I have been away awhile... What do HDAF and FTC stand for?
    - Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
    - Foil, Towel, Cooler
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    If it were me, I'd start cooking around midnight and plan on hitting temp late afternoon. Supper at six would mean less hold time.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Better yet, for a 7.5 lb. butt start early (0600) in the morning at 250-275 and you'll be done in plenty of time for dinner.  Definitely do not try to leave it in the egg 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • MisterCode
    Well, what occurred was I woke up to a 210F dome temp. Had a real busy work morning and wasn't able to do anything about it till noon. Thermapen said the meat was 160F. Then I pushed the charcoal from the edges into the middle and opened up the air at top and bottom. This brought the egg up to 290F slowly.

Now the Thermapen says the meat is 187F. I was getting nervous. Feel a little better now. 2hrs till supper. I just closed off the air a tad. But I think 1 more hour and this butt will be done. 

So my original question about holding it in the egg for 8 hours has turned into more like 1-2 hours. Waddya think? When it hits 200F internal just close off the air and leave it in the egg while I wait for the guests to show up?
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I think you risk it being overdone and dried out by leaving it in the Egg.  Double wrap in HDAF, wrap in towels and place in cooler filled with towels.  I think the FTC rest is good for the butt.  Rest for 2 to 3 hours if possible.  When you get ready to serve it, have everyone lined up with a plate.  Once you pull it, the clock starts ticking for it to dry out.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Don't just pull based on internal temp. You need to make sure it "probes like buttah"  in numerous locations before you pull it. If it does, FTC it and hold for dinner. 1 to 2 hours will be fine - it will still be quite warm, moist....and safe.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As long as the air in the Egg and the surface of the meat stay above 140F, there are no living pathogens. Botulina spores might just survive it the meat surface didn't have enough sugar in the rub, or there was too much moisture left. A mop of vinegar or lemon juice should stop any that begin growing. (Why vinegar based sauces rule!)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2016
    The problem with leaving it in the egg is it will continue to cook until the egg drops below 200 so it will likely get overcooked.  I would use a cooler or just use the oven if it has a keep warm setting.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MisterCode
    Thermapen reads 199-205F and does indeed "probe like buttah". Pulled, and FTC'd. 1 hour till the unveiling! Thanks guys. 
  • Can anyone comment on temperature safety of pork (and beef)?  Yea people have FTC'd for 6 or 8 hours but to what internal temp can you safely do this until? Isn't that the more important factor?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited June 2016
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg my practice is to hold it above 140. I do it for up to 6 hours or so on overnight cooks that finish in the morning. If the holding time were longer if be starting the cook later anyways. 

Take any advice with a grain of salt and check out all of the fda, health dept info that's available online - in the end you have to trust yourself more than me!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Can anyone comment on temperature safety of pork (and beef)?  Yea people have FTC'd for 6 or 8 hours but to what internal temp can you safely do this until? Isn't that the more important factor?
    140F is the lowest safe limit. Nothing growing. This does assume the food has been exposed to air, and probed with a possibly contaminated probe, unlike canned food that has not been exposed after being sterilized. Below 140, accept a lesser quality result, and chill to 40 as quick as possible, 2" thick bags and into water or ice water bath. Then re-heat.