Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White smoke vs Blue smoke.

Options
Hilled
Hilled Posts: 1
I'm getting ready to smoke some pulled pork 22 pounds going to be over 24 question would be I've got white smoke right now can't seem to get turn blue tell me the difference and when does it happen

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Do you have smoking wood in the EGG already? If so, wait for a sweeter smell. If not, you will be able to tell. Just make sure you have enough oxygen at start up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For me, typically 30 min, aiming at a dome temp of 250-ish. Usually sooner if hotter.

Variables. Lump quality. How much. How damp the smoking wood. Is the Egg itself damp.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i don't worry too much, myself.  white is steam.  the blue smoke may be ideal, but white can be fine.  you just don't wan sooty particles.  as long as the fire itself is burning clean, and the smoke clean, you can be ok with white smoke.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Smell the smoke-the nose knows.  If it smells good it is good.  Enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Smell the smoke-the nose knows.  If it smells good it is good.  Enjoy the cook.
    Hold your hand over the smoke and smell. It will tell you when it's ready. Nasty smoke, smells turpentiny
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.