Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Brisket at Costco still available

Options
Suburban Detroit Costcos still have prime packers for $2.99/lb. I bought the 4 they had at the Madison Heights location. At about $40 each they are a hell of a deal especially in Michigan where all I can usually find are flats. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got 3 in the freezer and another choice from RD.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @E-ville Egg hopefully you will have those for a while. Out here in AZ we are on about a 6 month run of full packers at Costco. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Wish the freezer was stuffed...
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    This is good to know as a new Costco is opening this month near me. We have already purchased our 'promotional' Executive membership in anticipation, but I'm not sure if I want to go near the place for the first week or two.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    This is good to know as a new Costco is opening this month near me. We have already purchased our 'promotional' Executive membership in anticipation, but I'm not sure if I want to go near the place for the first week or two.
    If it is anything like ours, it will be busy ALL the time.  Aisles packed with people waiting to try samples, lines at the checkout that back into the store.  I love Costco, but it is usually busy.  They do move you through quickly.  I remember running in 10 minutes before closing, quickly loaded a cart with groceries and got to the checkout and each lane was 6 carts deep.  I think I still got out in a half hour.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Eggaroo said:
    If it is anything like ours, it will be busy ALL the time.  Aisles packed with people waiting to try samples, lines at the checkout that back into the store.  I love Costco, but it is usually busy.  They do move you through quickly.  I remember running in 10 minutes before closing, quickly loaded a cart with groceries and got to the checkout and each lane was 6 carts deep.  I think I still got out in a half hour.

I have the business memebership just for the simple fact that it lets me in earlier then most. I usually go early on Saturdays to avoid the mess
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    @Eggaroo The key is to know it's going to be busy ahead of time and bring your patience.  It's worth the wait...I find myself going there weekly at least. If you can make weekdays you'll find it easier to navigate.  Enjoy!
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @kl8ton and @CheeseheadinAZ. I've only been inside a Costco one time on a weekday and it was very busy. The funny thing was that almost everyone pushing a cart had a package of paper towels and a package of toilet paper. It piqued my wife's interest so much that she had to ask a guy how he liked their toilet paper. That was funny too!

The lady that sold us our membership told us that they expect a 4 to 5 hour wait for people who just show up and want to join. Crazy.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Well, I'll just keep whining about Costcos in CA that never have any brisket.

They have great a$$ wipe at Costco.  I shop there and get gas at least twice a month love the place, crowds or not, but sometimes the gas line is not worth waiting for.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Appreciate it! Choice brisket is $6 a pound where I am in Massachusetts and I've only found flats at Costco. :bawling:
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    I won't go near Costco on a Saturday or Sunday.  If you have any kind of flexibility in your weekday schedule, I recommend hitting them up when they open their doors on a weekday.

I'll buy up the 3-pack of ribs from there any day, you really cannot beat their gasoline prices here, and I agree with the comments above - really good TP.  :peace:
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Costco by me never has anything but Flats- Choice

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    dh7 said:

Same here, it sucks. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Dobie said:
    dh7 said:

Try talking to the meat guy behind the glass. We had flats only too for a while. I'm pretty sure they can get them in there. Our guy says they sell a ton of full prime packers. Current price for prime $2.69lb. Crazy!!  I remember when I first got my egg they were $6.99
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Our Costco (greenville, sc) never has prime brisket that I have seen, and the choice grade they do carry is $3.50 pd or higher.  Go figure.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Maybe I need to get a freezer quick!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Since discovering costco prime packers at 2.79 per lb, i have been looking nowhere else for brisket.   RD beat coscto by 20 cents a lb but it was choice.  After last weekends brisket follow up cook of a prime packer done the right way from what i learned from the group here, prime is the best way to go...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Costco and their prime packers availability is the reason I bought my stand up deep freezer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    So mad at my Costco they don't have them.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have been to 3 separate costcos near me and all of them only carry the flats, asked the meat manager if they will ever get full packers in and he said unlikely as they don't sell, that Floridians think the point is too fatty and don't understand how good the point really is.

At least Sams sells a full packer here. 
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    For all you that don't have costco i can ship out a brisket if its worth that much too yall  =) Guess i should consider myself spoiled since we dont deal with gas lines or crazy crowds.
    Austin, Tx
  • driller2838
    Options
    Costco in Baton Rouge, LA had 9 Prime packers last night for $2.99/lb.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    OneNole03 said:
    I have been to 3 separate costcos near me and all of them only carry the flats, asked the meat manager if they will ever get full packers in and he said unlikely as they don't sell, that Floridians think the point is too fatty and don't understand how good the point really is.

At least Sams sells a full packer here. 
    Ask him to bring a few in...tell him you've heard eggheads across the country say their costcos bang them out.  Tell him you'll advertise on the forum for him.  haha

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I have got to get my grilling shed built and get a full size freezer.  All I have now is the little freezer in the top of the fridge in our farm shop.  Couldn't cram a weiner in it now it's so full.  Had to put a bungee strap on the door to keep it closed.  These great deals you folks keep posting are killing me.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• YukonRon
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I have got to get my grilling shed built and get a full size freezer.  All I have now is the little freezer in the top of the fridge in our farm shop.  Couldn't cram a weiner in it now it's so full.  Had to put a bungee strap on the door to keep it closed.  These great deals you folks keep posting are killing me.  
    How's the rehab coming? Hope you are doing well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    YukonRon said:

How's the rehab coming? Hope you are doing well.
    I'm coming along really well. Thanks Ron.  It's only been 3 weeks since surgery, and yesterday I got out and helped my son get some hay put into storage for winter.  It's been much easier and less painful than my knee 3 years ago.  I still have a lot of restrictions on what I can do, but am pushing those a little and I feel a lot better not having to set in the house and watch someone else do all the work.  Next up,  fire up an egg.  They've been cold for far too long.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Metro Atlanta Costco doesn't sell packers. Where's the nearest Costco that anyone has bought a prime packer? I travel throughout the Southeast for work. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Costco in Baton Rouge, LA had 9 Prime packers last night for $2.99/lb.
    I would have bought every one of them!