Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for help for an XL handler & hauler

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
An old friend of mine re-surfaced today and tells me he wants to take his new XL tailgating this Fall. I was trying to find some information about the Handler and then the upgrade of it to a Hauler. Does anyone here have both and can furnish a picture or two plus price estimate? I assume he will just need to go to his dealer and place a special order, but in case of sticker shock I want him prepared! 

Also any alternatives even if home made?
Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Personally, I would highly advise a MM. Unless he really needs the room
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm pretty sure all the haulers (the trailer hitch thing) are gone. I know you can't buy them and have never seen one used. I'm pretty sure they were deteremined unsafe.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm pretty sure all the haulers (the trailer hitch thing) are gone. I know you can't buy them and have never seen one used. I'm pretty sure they were deteremined unsafe.
    guess that sums it up quickly! Thanks!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    he could purchase a small enclosed cargo trailer. For that matter it could be just a trailer. A small amount of personalized fabrication and some tie down straps and there you go. I would build a radius cradle that the egg would fit snug into and pad it in some manner and strap it tight. remove the guts or shim them tight for moving. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If he's serious about tailgating with an xl, then here are some possible options:

GrillBarrow

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151762/pimped-my-nests

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148366/anyone-ever-switch-caster-wheels-on-their-nest  ..... check out the pic in egret's first post on p1.

The Grill Barrow will be much more expensive than switching out the casters for beefy wheels. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    He!!, he can buy several MM for that matter.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I heard you could tote an XL around 1 hanged with spot lifter
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    He!!, he can buy several MM for that matter.

thats true. I guess my assumption was he already owned the XL 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like my eggs as much as the next guy, but I'll never understand the idea of wanting to travel with them - other than possibly a MM.

Delicate, heavy ceramics combined with bumpy roads and crazy drivers...no thanks.

Tailgaiting food (wings, burgers, dogs, abts etc) are all just as good coming off a weber kettle.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    Sorry, Brent...this didn't turn out the way I thought it would! BTW please email me the moniker you will be using on this forum so I will know who you are!!!
    Another BTW - I know you plan to go to that competition cookoff in Kewanee soon, but were you aware of the Eggfest up in Sterling on June 18th?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It would take just a few minutes to take off the dome to lighten the weight and make it easy to transport. Pull the springs, loosen the base band and leave the band assembly attached to the dome. Pull the fire ring and box and it can easily be put in the back of a truck to transport. The dome wouldn't have to be perfectly aligned for tailgate cooks. It might take an extra 20 minutes or so, but hey, it's free!